I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Switching Brands of Epoxy
Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: June 04, 2016 10:04PM

Hey y'all, quick question here. I am about to mix up my last or next to last batch of ProKote rod finish. I have some Flex Coat high build I'm gonna try, but I didn't get syringes with those. Can I use the same syringes that I have been using? I never cleaned them, just stored them with the plunger all the way down and it's been working for the entire bottle (per something I read somewhere). If not, is there something I can use to clean them out? I gotta get a couple of rods finished up before the 18th.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switching Brands of Epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2016 10:35PM

Use the same syringes. Keep hardener to hardener and resin to resin. You'll be fine.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: June 04, 2016 11:27PM

Thanks Tom!

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 05, 2016 06:31AM

If you are in the process of trying a new finish please give Thread Master a try. I apply finish on average 10 to 12 times a week. Love it. Easy to use. Dries great.
Buzz

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2016 09:27AM

Randy,
If you are going to change brands of epoxy, I would at least clean the syringes. Use DNA or acetone to really clean the syringes. Leave them apart until completely dry and you will be good to go. When cleaning the syringes, use a pick to get all of the harder bits of epoxy out of the nooks and corners of the syringe.

Or, just use a new set of syringes. It is not a bad idea to keep a half dozen set of syringes on hand to use as replacement from time to time.

Replacements, for syringes that are just getting old from use or getting too gooed up to easily clean up.

Be safe

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2016 10:29AM

I agree with Buss Butters. I used ProKote for a number of years; but was looking for an epoxy that was more durable. I ordered some Threadmaster and simple love it!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2016 05:31PM

3X for Threadmaster

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2016 05:31PM

3X for Threadmaster

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: June 05, 2016 05:50PM

TM Lite for me.

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 06, 2016 09:56AM

I started using thread master this year and I really enjoy it to. It's my finish of choice.

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2016 12:07PM

What makes Threadmaster finish better than Flex Coat, ProKote and other options?

I've used Flex Coat high build and FC Lite and had good results, but it is the only finish I've used. Needless to say, I'm green behind the gills with rod building. Planned to try other finish when I start getting low with the Flex Coat I have on hand.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2016 01:30PM

All are equally good and at least similar. But each one will have certain characteristics that differ slightly, such as pot life, viscosity, etc., which means that one of them might work better for you, while another one works better for another builder.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 06, 2016 04:34PM

I have used Threadmaster very good finish I now use flexcoat UV finish Flexcoats new finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 07, 2016 02:21PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:21PM by John E Powell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster