I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Does anyone know??
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 04, 2016 02:03PM

A couple of years ago two gentlemen from Scandinavia displayed a very nice, infinitely adjustable (small diameter) rod chuck. They were kind enough to give me one as a "demo" model. I know they were interested in hitting the US market in a rather big way and were discussing the possibilities with a few vendors/wholesalers (MudHole, Batson Enterprises, American Tackle come to mind). So - has ANYONE heard from them? Are they still going to market this chuck? If so I really want to convert over several of my worn out/wearing out chucks.

Any information would be nice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone know??
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 04, 2016 03:52PM

I think that was Par Domeij out of Sweden, and they had problems with the elastomers on it and were trying to come up with a better fix for it. That was as of last December that he replied to me in that regard

Ron Weber

Date: June 04, 2016 04:02PM

Yes indeed it was Par .... I was just wondering if anyone had heard from him or his partner. I sure would like more of those chucks

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2016 05:10PM

Ken,
I remember seeing the pictures. If I recall correctly there were triangles involved in the clever design. But, yes, I do believe that it used a type of binder to activate the clutch. So, certainly the binders could be an issue if they had a short life or limited stretch.

Be safe

Date: June 05, 2016 06:39AM

I've changed out the elastic bands on mine to those used for girl's pony tails. They still will break over time but they're really cheap and unless two fail simultaneously the chuck will continue to operate. I did look on line and found that Par has been granted both an international patent and a US patent so I was wondering what the hold up is in bringing these to market.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2016 09:31AM

Ken,
Although the chuck styles that u se binders of some sort work, I have also seen some significant problems with folks who have used chucks and or rubber bands for rod work that have had the band fail and ended up with significant and costly issues on some rods.

this primarily happens when a rubber band is used on a dryer where the dryer may be unattended for long periods of time. If a band breaks shortly after a person leaves the shop for an over night drying run, it may cause significant issues with the rod being handled or multiple rods being handled if it is a multi rod system.

So, if you do use binders for applications in rod building, I suggest that you buy small quantities of FRESH bands, and change the bands frequently.

Better to throw away some good bands, than have a bad band fail at a key time.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster