I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Blank To Spinning Rod
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2016 11:39PM

What is the purpose of making a spinning rod from a fly rod blank? I've always wondered. Do you use the light weight fly rod blanks, 1 thru 5 wt.? Just curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Blank To Spinning Rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2016 12:52AM

Bruce,
I suspect that the main reason is to get a very soft moderate action that is frequently available in a fly rod, but not in a spinning rod.

In my part of the country - the upper midwest - we build a lot of long spinning rods out of fly blanks to use for a lindy rigging rod. A lindy rig rod is a rod that has a spinning reel on it, light line and a sliding weight with a short leader and a live bait hook to catch fish. IN this type fishing, it is a visual type fishing as opposed to a feel type fishing. i.e. one watches the soft rod tip and mid section of the rod for a bend or tap that would signal the bite of a fish. At that time, the line is released to allow the fish to get a better bite on the bait. When solid tension is felt, the hook is set.

The problem in using a fast or extra fast tipped rod, is that a person can feel the fish, but then the fish can also feel the resistance of the fishing pole. So, the fish drops the bait before the hook can be set.

But, with the soft moderate action of a rod built on the correct fly rod blank, the fisherman gets an excellent visual confirmation of a bite, before the fish ever feels resistance. Then, the fisherman drops the line so that the fish can run with the bait and line and still not feel resistance.
When the fisherman feels that the fish is ready, the bail is closed and the hook is set - hopefully on a fish.

Be safe

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: June 02, 2016 02:36AM

The purpose of using a fly blank for a spinning/casting rod is sometimes that fly blanks nowadays are more often than not 4-piece. Travelling by plane may involve paying extra for "sports gear". But then, why waste money on it if you can stuff the rod in your main luggage. Not a problem with fly rods usually, but things are different with spinning/casting tackle. Now, there not too many 8'-9' four piece spinning/casting blanks around. The solution basically is either to buy a CTS blank, or get a fly blank. Granted, fly blanks usually have moderate or mod-fast action, when built as spinning rods. There are however exceptions. Batson XF9010-4 is one.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: June 02, 2016 09:11AM

Anglers Workshop has some, so does D Blue to the left. The Anglers blanks are US made by Talon, or at least they have been before, the models used to also be in the Talon catalog. They were IM6 blanks last I used one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2016 09:25AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 02, 2016 06:06PM

I had a light weight fly rod that I never used and had no interest in using it, so I stripped it down and made it into a spinning rod for pan fish. It turned out to be as good or better than most ultra lights.

Instead of spending most of its time whipping the air, it now spends most of its time being flexed by pan fish. A little humor no offense.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 02, 2016 09:54PM

What I do question...is one of cost. I admit my ignorance in this are. It seems to me that fly rod blanks sell at a premium compared to other types of blanks. Maybe I am wrong?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 02, 2016 10:28PM

Russ - No you are not wrong, I was told many years ago by a famous builder that one of the reasons for the high cost of fly fishing equipment is that fly fisherman have deep pockets.
Norm

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2016 07:33PM

I was building some 4-5 spinning rods on fly blanks (ALL STAR AUSTIN (TITANIUM) 9' W5+extension, special for fishing from the bank for white bass on TRINITY RIVER ,TEXAS(below the LIVINGSTON DAM) with FIRELINE ORIGINAL SMOKE 4 lb.+4lb. SEAGUAR CARBON PRO fluorocarbon leader and 1/32 oz. EAGLE CLAW jigs.
The rods are over 11'-12 ' with SIC MATCH guides.I was very happy with this rods catching on jigs a lot of white bass,crappie and 15 lb.buffalo carp,15 lb.,longnose gar fish and big paddlefish(fault hooked).
The same for fishing from the bank in salt water at ROLLOVER PASS,BOLIVAR PENINSULA ,TEXAS i was building some spinning rod using fly blank ALL STAR AUSTIN(TITANIUM 9',W10)+extension.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster