I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Cracks in Epoxy" expanded discussion!
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.buvl.tn.charter.com)
Date: May 29, 2016 10:33PM

The thread "cracks in epoxy" listed below brought up some comments on the flexibility of various epoxies. Several brands were mentioned. I have never tested the major brands in a trial to "check" flexibility. I have used two brands with one being settled on about 5 years ago.

I have seen cracks on too many "shelf" rods to count. And some of mine as well. That being said, is there an epoxy that might work better for certain actions in rods than other epoxies. I am thinking bass rods here. Stiff to very stiff (worm/flipping) verses Moderate (crankbait blanks, say a Batson CB70HM or CB70M). Would you use a different epoxy for different actions of rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Cracks in Epoxy" expanded discussion!
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 01:51AM

Mark,
I would see no reason to ever use a different thread finish for a different rod.

If you like the finish and it works for you, use it on all of your rods.

Be safe

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 10:02AM

Maybe I'm living a charmed life, but I've yet to find an epoxy finish crack on a fly rod. Very old (50+ years) spar varnish yes. You would think that if epoxy were going to fail it would be on the upper most guides or metal ferrule wraps on a bamboo fly rod, but so far after 20+ years it has not happened. Maybe cracking is worse for spin or cast?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 11:36AM

I have to agree with Donald. I have never personally seen cracks in any of the rods that I have built, fished with or with any of my friends casting and or spinning rods. i.e. 0 cracks.

Be safe

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 03:01PM

In my experience you are more likely to see cracked epoxy on heavy salt water rods with heavy duty guides with long feet.....like roller guides. No doubt sun/heat/saltwater play a part too.

It isn't uncommon for some to use a softer product like aftcoat on guides wraps and something harder on butt wraps that might be rested on a gunnel in a tough fight.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: June 02, 2016 08:07AM

Several of mine and my clients rods develop cracks at the guide feet after several years of use. The epoxy gets brittle from sun and age and the load put on heavy saltwater rods eventually cause cracks, more at the tip and less at the guides closer to the reel. All mine have 2 wraps over the feet and 2 coats of flex coat. I know most rods will do that eventually with that kind of use. I'll get rods back for repair (never had a guide come off but the rings or inserts break) and I'm pleased to see and rod beat up, scratched, dinged with scales on it, means the guy fished it hard and caught some fish. A rod that comes back perfect is a rod that's been sitting around not getting fished. Many of my clients fish long range with the rod it a rack in the tropical sun for days and with those kind of loads that's what happens, just a fact of life. I do quite a few repairs every year on factory rods, mine and other wrappers rods as well. It's not a problem or flaw just normal wear and tear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster