I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reduction Guide(s) Clarification Needed
Posted by: Frank Matthews (---.atw.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 26, 2016 08:25PM

Well, I;m trying to be like a sponge and absorb as much as I can. I've had many questions about guides and have performed many searches with some success. I finally decided to order Tom Kirkman's Guide CD (it arrived today) [www.rodmakermagazine.com] in an effort to learn as much as I can about the subject. I must say, this is a great CD and I should be a "guideologist" once finished!

With that said, I need some clarification with respect to selecting the reduction guides. I understand the "how to" but what is not clear is the selection of the guides. It is suggested to try different sized and/or higher or lower framed guides in order to "reach the straightedge." I have looked at a few catalogs and websites and I understand guide size (I think), and I see the high/low type frames, but what I don't see is a measurement for height of the guide, either from the base to the center or to the top. Seems like this measurement would be helpful. As such, does this mean I should buy a guide assortment to use for determining the correct guide needed when ordering? Is there a more detailed sizing chart with this information? Are all guides of the same style/size equal in distance from the center or top of the guide to the base? Not trying to make this any harder than it is, just trying to gain a thorough understanding so I can make my own informed decisions when it comes to guide selection and not rely on a "card set."

Thanks for any additional insight you can offer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reduction Guide(s) Clarification Needed
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: May 26, 2016 08:55PM

Most companies do not publish that information so you are sort of on your own there. A few do though. So you can either buy a test fit set of guides in the least expensive ring material and keep those for setting up and then order exactly what you need. Depends on if you are out to build one or two rods or be in this for the long haul.

Date: May 26, 2016 09:08PM

Thanks Ken.........I'm in for the long haul! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 09:09PM by Frank Matthews.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2016 09:10PM

Frank,
If building a spinning rod, I have generally used a match guide for the first guide for the last several years. That way, the guide generally lines up very well with the face of the spinning reel and minimizes line slap.

Then I will go down to a size 16 conventional guide and then down to a size 10 conventional guide. Then, down to an F type running guide to the tip. The tip being the same size as the running guide.

A representative guide set:

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 02:06AM

Frank,

You should learn to use the Fuji GPS system. With minimal input, it will give you the type/size and location of each/all guides. You simply remove the unnecessary ones from the train.

[anglersresource.net]

Anglers Rsrc - Fuji in the left panel is a sponsor.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Frank Matthews (---.rtp.zs.ncren.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 08:00AM

Don,

Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I liked their statement whereby "Best of all, GPS provides a suggested layout that offers a “starting point” where rod builders (and even factories) can then focus on fine tuning a particular set up for a truly custom, high performance rod." This tells me they recognize that there is no hard/fast calculation that will allow for other variables such as handle length, action, or the use the rod is expected to see. Getting close via software sounds like a great way to go (will likely add additional credibility to customers), and then allow me to work the rest of the magic for optimum performance.

Thanks again for leading me to this. Looks like I have an additional lab assignment this weekend! :-)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 09:36AM

Frank - Also read the theory for the New Guide Concept and the KR concept, and the stactic load tutorial. Lot of good info at the Angler's resource site. Be sure to download their 2016 catalog there is also a lot of good info in it. Most of the guide manufacturers' catalogs give information on guide measurements. Knowing guide heights enables you to substitute guides from other manufacturers to develop your guide trains.
Norm

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 09:43AM

Good Morning Frank.... We have all of our guide specs listed in the back of our catalog. Drop me an email and I will get one out to you. or you can download it here...

[www.americantackle.us]

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Miles Miller (172.58.137.---)
Date: May 27, 2016 06:19PM

I personally am very fond of the New Guide Concept, it's what I've been using and have had amazing results; especially when I do a rebuild. I have not played with the KR concept, though a lot of people do like it.

If you go to the library page on this site, there is a PDF link that explains the NGC in detail. It might look 'advanced' initially, but once learned it is very simplistic. I build for myself, and only basic builds. Nothing fancy. With that said I have been using Pac Bay Minima guides since they are very inexpensive and have great reviews. With using these I can purchase a couple extra guides for easily less than $10.

Get ready: custom building can become very addictive!

Date: May 27, 2016 08:19PM

Don @ American Tackle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good Morning Frank.... We have all of our guide
> specs listed in the back of our catalog. Drop me
> an email and I will get one out to you. or you can
> download it here...
>
> [www.americantackle.us]

Thanks for this information Don. Downloaded the catalog and found exactly what I was looking for! Wanna guess where I'm placing my next order for guides? If others are not doing this I feel they are missing the boat and performing somewhat of a disservice to their customers as well as possibly hurting their bottom line. $.02 .......

Thanks again Don! What a great bunch of folks on the forum!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 08:58PM

Frank - I guess you missed the fact that almost every (if not all) guide manufacturer lists the height specifications in their catalogs, I.e. Fuji, PacBay, Kigan, Batson, and American Tackle. The information is out there, no one is hiding it. I wanted to know this type of information years ago and was able to find it with no problems.
Norm

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: May 28, 2016 01:52AM

Some examples

Fuji
[anglersresource.net]

PacBay
[www.fishpacbay.com]

Batson
[alpsforecast.com]

Don Becker

Date: May 28, 2016 10:04AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frank - I guess you missed the fact that almost
> every (if not all) guide manufacturer lists the
> height specifications in their catalogs, I.e.
> Fuji, PacBay, Kigan, Batson, and American Tackle.
> The information is out there, no one is hiding it.
> I wanted to know this type of information years
> ago and was able to find it with no problems.
> Norm

As my requests for catalogs slowly begin to arrive and I take the time to download others, I'm beginning to see the information now. As I still consider myself a rookie at rod building (do I have to incorporate yellow threads on all of my rods for the first year? :-) .....NASCAR fans will understand), I was basing my statement on a 202 page catalog from a company that seems to be a major player. Maybe they assume you already have that information from another source. As stated earlier, thanks for all of the assistance and insight. This is a great forum in which I look forward to being a part of for many years!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster