I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

11' Surf Spinning Rod
Posted by: Michael Sing (---.static.hlrg.nc.charter.com)
Date: May 19, 2016 08:01PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to rod building and I'm looking for some advice on guides to use on a Carolina Cast Pro Series 11' 2-5oz blank. I was given specs for how they make their rods but was curious
if maybe different guides would possibly work better. The guide type and sizes that were supplied were Fuji BSVAG 40,30,25,20,16,12,12... with a 12 Fuji BPOT tip. He also provided the spacing they use. First question is can I change the guides to say K series guides and use the same spacing he provided? If not whats the best method to come up with the new spacing? Concept method?
The Reel that I'm buy is the Shimano Ultegra ci4 xib 5500... Would like to use this rod to throw spoons but also let my girlfriend use it for light bottom fishing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 11' Surf Spinning Rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 08:43PM

You could go with a size 40,20, 16 and 12 with a 12 tip. Or you could go with a 40,20, 16, 8 and 8 to the tip with a size 8 tip top, unless you have clearance issues with knots and or swivels with the size 8 runners and tip top.

Make sure that the size 40 guide is high enough so that the full loop can come off the reel and not have to droop down to run through the butt guide.

Just put a guide where it is needed to keep the line following the contour of the loaded blank.

Date: May 19, 2016 10:02PM

whats the best method to load the rod to make sure you are following the loaded contour of the black? run the line through the guides attached by surgical tubing then use weight to load the rod and adjust as necessary? Seems like it would work in theory...

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:43PM

Michael, here are 2 good articles from the library.

Guide spacing and placement. - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Static guide placement - [www.rodbuilding.org]

What line are you planning to use on the Shimano Ultegra ci4 xib 5500? Braid or Mono? If you are using braid you can start with a 30 or possibly a 25.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 12:40AM

if you are using Braided line you could drop down to a 30 MM guide to start. As far as static testing, drive a piece of PVC pipe in the ground at an angle after smoothing out the sharp edges. Attach a weighted line to your tip guide to set the bend or tie it off to a solid object .Then and use another line from the reel to check your clearance from the blank with just enough weight to cause tension on that line (a couple OZ)

Posted by: Michael Sing (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 07:48AM

20-30lb power pro

Date: May 20, 2016 08:08AM

Tony I'll read those articles today... New to the forum and still learning to navigate everything thanks. Going to be using 20-30 lb braid power pro possibly super slick

Date: May 20, 2016 09:26AM

As far as guide type would it be better to run the k series guides or stick with the BSVAG's? If so which guides would be best suited to use as the running guides? Was thinking about using the k series as reduction guides and then BMNAG's for the choker and running guides up to the tip. Does anyone see any issues with this?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 09:58AM

I would use the Fuji K guides for all. They are really nice guides, they hold up and cast well. Used them on a heavy salmon rod as a light surf rod, really happy with their performance. The KW 30 is as high as the SV 40. If you are using braid you can reduce the size of your reduction and running guides.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 10:00AM

If you use a K-Series reduction train and want the lightest tip section you can get, try the 30, 25, 16 reduction train and then size 8 runners to the tip. I'd probably opt for KW8 as the runner all the way. #30 braid will easily choke through a three guide reduction train and be on its way to the tip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 10:28AM

I might be tempted to try 30, 20, 12, for reduction guides and 8 as runners. Braid will pass though this no problem. You have a number of options, go with the one that fits your needs, that's what makes it custom.
Norm

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-70-210-49.myvzw.com)
Date: May 20, 2016 12:09PM

Check out Lou's video on YouTube about concept surf rod setup. It was very helpful for me to see it done.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 02:57PM

if You fish in a area that has Floating Weeds you might need to step up in tip and running guide size. Nothing worse than having a fish on and get guide choked with weed and having to STOP to clear it

Posted by: Michael Sing (107.77.90.---)
Date: May 20, 2016 04:25PM

Thank you everyone for the help. David watched Lou's video and that definitely seems like the best way for me to come up with the spacing. I'll probably go with a size 10 running guide just to be sure I can pass the shock leader knots through them when my girlfriend is chunking with it. Still unsure about using the kw's all the way to the tip only because I've never seen it done before. May try it though worst case if I don't like it I could always change them out. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2016 09:06PM

I put size 10 running guides on my 11 ft St Croix and I think it is a good balance of saving weight near the tip of the rod and having a big enough opening to pass a shock leader knot.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 11:56PM

Mike, Using K-guides would be a plus but I would stick to the recipe they provided as far as the sizes go. An 11' rod moves a lot of line very quickly and your gonna need the extra room to accommodate that much line running thru the guides at that speed off the reel. You may even have to go to a 50mm stripper.
I know the trend is to use smaller guides for less weight and more for line control but not for surf casting. If you look at all the rods built on CTS and Centry blanks, all are built using no more than seven guides and much larger than what is now trending. Why ? because their looking for distance and less fowling in the guides brought on by wind and vision problems of night fishing standing chest deep in the surf. If your serious about getting your bait out to a productive area in these conditions you go with the lest restrictive set up.
Throwing baits for any length of time with an11' stick will get old quick and you won't want to be untangling birds nests in the dark of night. Its not a fashion show when your out there, its all about reaching the fish.
Experience is the best teacher. Good luck with your build and hope that your successful.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: May 21, 2016 06:56AM

Dennis Danku Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike, Using K-guides would be a plus but I would
> stick to the recipe they provided as far as the
> sizes go. An 11' rod moves a lot of line very
> quickly and your gonna need the extra room to
> accommodate that much line running thru the
> guides at that speed off the reel. You may even
> have to go to a 50mm stripper.
> I know the trend is to use smaller
> guides for less weight and more for line control
> but not for surf casting. If you look at all the
> rods built on CTS and Centry blanks, all are built
> using no more than seven guides and much larger
> than what is now trending. Why ? because their
> looking for distance and less fowling in the
> guides brought on by wind and vision problems of
> night fishing standing chest deep in the surf. If
> your serious about getting your bait out to a
> productive area in these conditions you go with
> the lest restrictive set up.
> Throwing baits for any length of time with an11'
> stick will get old quick and you won't want to be
> untangling birds nests in the dark of night. Its
> not a fashion show when your out there, its all
> about reaching the fish.
> Experience is the best teacher. Good luck with
> your build and hope that your successful.

Dennis thank you for the reply

Distance casting ability is definitely my first priority with this rod, and after reading your response it's now clear to me why he chose the sizes for his factory built rods.
Would I likely be able to use the provided spacing with the K series guide or would the concept guide spacing be the better route? Would you use all KW's to the tip or would you use the KW's for just the reduction guides and if so which guide would you use for the running guides? I'd like to use double foot guides for all the guides and that doesn't seem to be possible with the K series unless I use all KW's. The added rod weight from using the larger guides isn't a huge concern to me. The performance and casting distance are my biggest priorities.

Thanks Mike

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2016 10:30AM

Factory rods are setup for general use if someone use a large spinner and thicker mono line.

My 11 ft spinner goes from 30,20,12 in Alps SV to mn style size 10 runners to a 10 tip top. With a Shimano 5000-6000 size with 14 lb fusion braid I have not had one birdsnest using the rod. I have it more setup for fish fighting ability than casting distance but it still cast plenty far.If I was really wanted to get more distance I would go with a casting setup vs spinner anyways.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2016 12:29AM

Mike, You can use the K-guides and or any other guides you like . You can mix frame styles and even turn them backwards as long as you getting the satisfaction of performance you desire. I know you want to use all double footed guides out to to the tip but, depending on how limber the tip is, you may have to use two or three 10 mm single foot belly guides just for the sake of how the blank flexes.Double footers could add stability in the tip section if that's what you want. It all depends on what you want the rod to do. Spoons can be tricky casting in the wind and line twist after wards can cause problems, don't blame the rod. My personal build consisted of the first three guides being BKWAG's starting with a 50mm, then the next three guides were BMNAG"s and the last three were BKTAG's. My blank of choice was a 11' 1 pc CTS Vapor Trail 3-6 oz. I originally built it using all BKWAG's starting with a 30 mm but couldn't get the distance I wanted. It felt like the rod was being smothered.Like trying to shoot a 12 gauge out of a 410. With the new set up it just flows effortlessly.All guides are in the same location just larger. I am using 20 # mono but it didn't make a difference using braid as I tried . I'm now happy with this rod and don't plan on any more guide changes.
Mike, you just have to experiment until you achieve satisfaction.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster