I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji RV guide direction
Posted by: Doug Weissinger (107.77.105.---)
Date: May 18, 2016 03:02PM

By name this is a reverse guide. What, exactly, does that mean? Is the double foot installed in facing the tip? I've asked a couple of builders and they didn't really seem to know.

Thanks,
Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji RV guide direction
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2016 03:19PM

Yes.

Posted by: Doug Weissinger (107.77.105.---)
Date: May 18, 2016 03:40PM

Thanks Tom!!!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 18, 2016 09:37PM

The double legs face the tip. Although I've built them backwards and not sure there's a difference in performance.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:36AM

RV's do seem to "buck the trend" and I have asked a lot of questions to Fuji engineers about the decision to do this. My best translation goes something like this:

A high frame guide in the past has had a large ring. The frame legs on a large ring connect to the outside of the ring frame so they are, logically, pretty far apart. But, as you increase frame height and make ring size smaller the legs connecting to the outside of the ring frame stay closer together because of the small ring. That narrower space creates line slap problems. Flaring the legs enough to eliminate the problem on a double foot guide becomes heavy and cumbersome. Solution: Use a single leg facing the reel and use the double legged "backside" to gain the strength needed in a double-foot model and maintain the tangle free feature of true "K" guides. Zero line slap, lighter weight, tangle free performance and a much smaller footprint.

Please, face the single leg toward the reel for maximum performance.

Date: May 19, 2016 07:52PM

Thanks, Jim. But I still don't think the two rods I built the wrong way will get significantly better it I reverse the guide. It could be that the line we are using makes it a moot point. But I'll do as you say from now on. :-)

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 10:13AM

May be undetectable with lighter lines especially but you GOTTA FOLLOW THE RULES, MICHAEL! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriuosly, it's a weird one. I see a little LC in there, a little KL-H in there and a little AT in there. It took me a while but it all makes sense to me now. The top draw in my opinion is the way the double leg/foot part "tucks" up under the slope of the ring (think how long the old LC had to be). Very short footprint and lighter overall weight with huge strength...pretty ingenious.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 10:49AM

Jim - Wish these guides came in a stainless frames with alconite rings. Titanium frames are far too expensive for routine freshwater use. I use KR guides extensively but have never used the RV guide because of the cost and lack of matching with black guides.
Norm

Date: May 20, 2016 11:56AM

Pro rate the cost of that guide for the expected life of the rod and it will almost be free. All the rest of the guides may be alconite (or cheaper) stainless steel. They will look OK together. I'm following the rules now that I know them, Jim. I was just a little slow in figuring them out. I love that guide, too.

Date: May 20, 2016 08:02PM

Nope does not work for me! Never had trouble with the stainless frames so if pro rated for the life of the rod they are still less than titanium. Do not like the look of titanium mixed with black guides. There is no reason these guides could not be made with a stainless frame. Titanium frames are overkill for feashwater. In my opinion the weight difference does not justify the extra cost, which is double that of stainless. That's two sets of guides for the price of one. If you throw torzite into the mix you are talking more than three times the price. Know for a fact that you can not scrath an alconite guide with a hacksaw blade or a metal file more than hard enough to hold up to any kind of line you use.
Norm

Date: May 20, 2016 10:46PM

I was suggesting one titanium guide (about $8) to use with bright stainless (about $2.50) guides, not titanium with black. Didn't throw torzite into the mix. Total guide cost about $23. Or less with concept O type L running guides.

Date: May 21, 2016 12:12AM

Using L guides deletes the advantage of the KR concept. I prefer black to chrome. If Fuji made K series guides with concept O rings I would buy them. The reason I mentioned torzite is I think they are overkill for freshwater use, just like titanium frames. In fact they may even be overkill for light inshore fishing. I have used titanium guides and found them to be brittle and prone to breaking, another reason I like stainless. Just because they are more expensive does not neccesarily mean they function better. I am certain that Fuji would rather sell titanium guides than stainless guides. I would venture a guess that the majority of rods built using the KR concept microguides are for freshwater and light inshore fishing. Thus I see no valid reason why the RV micro stripper is made only with titanium frames, except for the price. You are welcome to your opinion, and I to mine.
Norm

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2016 11:15AM

Diagrams from Fuji Tackle Japan:
[www.fujitackle.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster