I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji K Guides Baitcaster
Posted by: Denham Bruce (24.17.246.---)
Date: May 17, 2016 11:29PM

Alright so I am pretty knew to the whole rod building thing and would like to have some questions answered. I am currently building a big water float rod for Steelhead (11'6") and its going to be set up for a baitcaster. My main concern is that I want to make the guides as light as possible for balancing purposes without using titanium guides. I'll probably make it a spiral wrap to reduce the total number of guides. I'm leaning towards fuji alconites with SS frames but cannot decide if its worth getting the K series guides over the Concept ones. I know the K series is highly regarded but all the info I find for them has to do with providing benefits to spinning rods and not so much baitcasting. Which one is better? Also I am open to other suggestions as well if you happen to think of a good alternative. I just ask for some minor explanation as to your reasoning. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji K Guides Baitcaster
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (1.132.96.---)
Date: May 18, 2016 12:00AM

I'm building a baitcaster in spiral at the moment. My first few guides to complete the spiral are K guides. Then I've gone to the concept belly guides to the tip.
My reason to go with K to start is I am going Titanium so have to. Otherwise the MN style will work.
Either way both the MN and K will be ok and you can match the frame colour to the belly guides too with the Alconite range. Not sure of your line class but I believe if you chose the MN style you could even go LN (same style just thinner so lighter). BLNAG. These should be lighter than the equivalent K guides.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: May 18, 2016 09:01AM

If you want a light tip to balance the rod, use Pac Bay Minima guides once the line is on the bottom.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 18, 2016 09:32AM

The Fuji reverse guide (RV) K series first guide for casting works great for "on top" casting buids - it's all I use for casters now. But I am not sure if it's the right choice for a spiral where you want to get to the bottom of the blank with the straightest line path possible. I think the lower guides, like MN, may be better. One thing to watch out for is going too large on the first few guides. Since you are not (I believe) going for height on the first guide, then a lower guide of 6-8 mm ring size is probably right. Mark and Chris have good suggestions, IMHO.

Date: May 19, 2016 12:10AM

Thank you for the insight guys. Looks to me like standard guides should work out fine. Any preferences on how to do the spiral wrap?

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 12:34AM

Check this out, they have a free spiral wrap how to/degree wheel. []. Never mind after I posted it I noticed it was a blocked site because they don't sponsor this page. But do a quick Google search and it should help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2016 12:36AM by Michael Maclean.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 12:01PM

I don't make spiral casting rods any more, don't like the looks. No problems with performance. I like spiral for trolling. The "simple spiral" is the easiest and has, in my opinion, no significant performance penalties over other types. Lay the guides out as you would for an 'on-top" build, put a low guide at ninety degrees half way between number 1 and 3, turn all the guides from there to the tip to 180 degrees, and you have it. The object of the added guide is simply to keep the line off the blank, so it can be as low as you can get it (bend guides if you want).

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 02:00PM

You have a long rod so you have the room I put the guides using a spinning spacing I use bands so they can be moved With that long a rod you can go first at O then start the spiral I generally start with a 16 depending on how high the line has to be for your hand You can go three then the 180 or even 4 then 180
Once the guides are in place run line Static test and let the line rest at the bottom of the ring closer to the blank on the transition guides The 180's spinning fashion
You may be able to go say 16 - 12 or 10 then the 8's It is nice to have several extra transition guides to play with

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 02:44PM

Denham,
If it were my rod, I would use Pac Bay minima guides from the butt to the tip.

You can use size 6 runners and tip top. Then a 12 or 14 double foot guide off the reel, and smaller guides for the spiral. I prefer to use 3 guides for the spiral. One at 60, one at 120, and one at 180. The 2nd and 3rd guide need to be short. They only serve to keep the line from hitting the blank.

For that setup, I would likely use about 9 guides or so, depending on the speed of the blank. Softer tip, more guides. Stiffer tip less guides.

Date: May 20, 2016 07:09PM

My only concern with minima guides is that I do not know how small I can go before running into problems with a bobber stop. I like the idea of micro guides to keep the tip light but since this will be a slip bobber setup I can't have them be too small.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2016 08:56AM

If you know how small you can use with a ceramic ring use the same in the minima There rings are slightly larger then ceramics

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2016 06:05PM

Never had a bobber stop problem with any #6 guide, you see them on 'factory rods from Lamiglas and G Loomis too, I even use a small bead before the bobber stop with no problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster