I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

25 stripper guide for yellowtail
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 13, 2016 02:36AM

Gents, I searched, but couldn't find what I was lookin for. Would it be unheard of to use this size stripper for an RCJB84H? Should I drop to a 20? These are expensive guides, so don't want to spend another $13-14 including shipping "just to see." I already have the 25. They are Alps XN zirconias. Its a 30 to 60 lbs class rod targeting yellowtail (west coast cousin to the amberjack) yo yo jigging. I have seen a lot on spacing and spiralling (which this is), but less on size. I have Tom's special edition CD on guides, but mostly talks about spinning/casting, not so much conventional.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 02:39AM by Randy Weakley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 25 stripper guide for yellowtail
Date: May 13, 2016 02:43AM

BTW the spiral I am thinking of is 25-12-12-10 down to 10 tip top. Normal spiral, 0-60-120-180 ish.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2016 07:41AM

"Casting" is "Conventional."

The 25 is likely far larger than you'll need, however you could use it if you want without hurting much of anything.

Date: May 13, 2016 08:51AM

I guess when I think of casting I think of a bass or inshore rod. This will likely never cast a lure. I guess same principle though. I guess I'll order a 20 and see how it does keeping line off grip.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 13, 2016 09:54AM

If I had to go to a 25 to get the height I needed I might look at the K series RV, maybe a 16. Compact and very strong but high enough without being a giant ring on a conventional rod. That's an "unconventional" suggestion, but apparently you have a lot of height in the reel or a very long foregrip or something that demands a lot or height. Otherwise, like Tom says, go smaller.

Date: May 13, 2016 10:24AM

Its a 14 inch grip. I made a guess when purchasing guides, but I'm thinking it may be a tad large. The only downside to this as a hobby is the lack of local outlets from which to purchase parts. The online stores are great, but I can't run out and grab a new guide real quick when I need one. May not be a huge issue if you do it for a living and have a cache of parts...but for us little guys...

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2016 10:35AM

If you can figure if you may need some thing else along with that guide so the shipping goes easier
Lesson learned - Get extra if unsure You should be able to use them on another rod ?? And do better research The Search Function here works well for information
Also here is a good chart that shows the height of guides that you can measure to get the right height and ring sizes [anglersresource.net]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 10:38AM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 13, 2016 10:55AM

Thanks Bill, I'll check that site out. I rarely make blind posts here without doing some research first. In fact it was that research that caused me to send back a size 20 in favor of a 25. I was going for extra height, because I will target large fish and expect a deep bend. But I think I over estimated how thick the handle grip would be. Plus taking into account the fast action and lots of backbone, I just think I over calculated the height requirement for the guide. Extras get pricey when you start talking about better guides.

I have a back ordered item from Get Bit, so they were nice enough to let me purchase a guide and just combine it in with that shipment. Good people.

Date: May 13, 2016 11:38AM

That is why with all the guides out now and the new ones coming out with higher prices I just stay with the fuji aconite nice ring and good price and I don't have to look all over for a certain guide ( unless a customer wants some thing special )
There is also a nice chart on Static Testing on that same site in case you need it

Use the larger guide You can always change it later if you don't like it ( I take it this is your rod ? )

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 11:40AM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 13, 2016 02:54PM

Thanks bill. I will check that out. Someone advised me to get the zirconia because of the nature of the rod...can't remember who. Maybe one of the staff at get bit. These are my first over hundred dollar builds. More towards the 200 side, so I figured might as well get the better guides.

Date: May 13, 2016 02:56PM

On that note, if I under wrap the guides, can I remove the guide without having to redo the underwraps?

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2016 08:43PM

Hi Randy,

Hobby builder here as well and just like you I find it tough to envision a guide layout as there are so many factors. Luckily for us we have many good folks on here with a wealth of knowledge to help. I think I am going to buy a really cheap set of closeout guides just to use as rod set up guides then order nice ones for future builds by matching heights.

Right now I am getting things ready to build a Rod Geeks XC733 17-30lb Rod setup with spiral guide wrap. Bought most of my Alps mxn guides from Utmost Interprises ,which are awesome to deal with as they find the cheapest way but still very fast shipping. Realized for my build the 20 looks a touch too big so I bought a size 16 in the XN frame which is a little taller than the mxn. Check out the Alps guide height on utmost's website you might want to use a HXN 20 for the first guide to get the height you want, I doubt an extra .1 oz in weight would be noticable so close to the handle.

But before ordering anything else I would tape or ziptie the 25 and transition guides on the blank just to see how the line flows. If it works I would use it but if not ideal I would rather do the right guide the first time instead of cutting it off to redo later.

Sorry for the long rambling.

Date: May 13, 2016 10:07PM

David thanks for the info. I haven't looked at that one yet, although I did take some time a while back to start clicking through the sponsors...just never made it that far down in the alphabet. I'm pretty stoked about this build. It's gonna be great targeting the yellowtail, and if I make it back to the east or gulf coast it'll be good for amberjack and maybe even grouper. Never caught either of those.

One thing I was upset about was forgetting to scuff the blank prior to installing the aluminum reel seat. But one of Tom's older post set my mind at ease a bit. But I will def remember to do this in the future. I started typing up a list of lessons learned and things to remember when building. I'm gonna print it out and keep it at my workbench.

Date: May 15, 2016 01:07AM

The more rods you build ----- and the more TIME you spend reading and learning from this site
The better you will become The simple things like prepping seats and blank will become a common thing you will do and not even think about it -- like riding a bike you never forget

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: May 15, 2016 08:27AM

Randy, I would use the #25 on a yo-yo, pretty standard for that application. The guides should be large to allow the spectra-mono connection to pass thru better and also cuts down on friction when casting heavy iron. Many times casting distance is the name of the game. 14" grip will allow you to use the rail if you find some mid grade tuna. If I'm building anything for 40lb line or larger for throwing iron I always start with a #25. I also like to triple wrap,one under wrap, two over the feet but I'm a little old school in that respect. As long as it you're at it build a 10 footer for surface iron too. Both are a lot of fun.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: May 22, 2016 12:06AM

Well I'm in the process of wrapping. I decided on the 25, but can re wrap with a 20 if I decide to later. I ended up with 6 running guides + the 4 transition guides. I got a pretty good layout I think. My tip top is on back order so I just used a line running through all the guides and wrapped a guide on with tape to simulate the tip top. I used my hand to flex the blank at various points and think I got a good guide setup.

I went with a simple gold trim 5 band threw ad on each end with two 3 thread bands near the center. I want to fish with this next month so I went for speed over intricate beauty. I think it'll still look nice though.

I don't know how guys make some of those super detailed wraps. I could probably do it, but it would take me like 2 or 3 hours per guide I'm sure. You guys sure have some talent!

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2016 04:45PM

Randy, what size reel will you be using?
If it's an Avet SX or JX size (or similar), I would use a size 20 stripper.
If it's an MX or HX, (or similar) then I would go with a 25 due to the larger diameter of the reel.
What I look for is a nice transition from the reel to the stripper, no excessive angles, same as the spiral guides.
I also start my stripper at about 5 degrees off the 0 axis, then static place the remainder using 4 transition guides to the 180 axis.
This gives me the smoothest transition from top to bottom of the rod.
My .02 worth.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: August 02, 2016 05:30PM

Iwent with the 25. It is a Fin Nor Sport Fisher ST30. It holds 460 yards of 30 lbs mono for size comparison. I don't know much about Avet reels.

It was a bit awkward guiding the line on. I think I may just have to get used to it. It was much easier on my 3/0 senator because the spool was so much lower.

Didn't get to use it really. I brought it on the trip, but we didn't go to where the yellows were on the bottom. I dropped it down a couple times just to get the feel for it, though. I'd like to go out again before the seasons over! Wanna get a passport so I can go on one of the trips that go further south toward Baja.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster