I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss Problem
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 27, 2016 09:26AM

Hi All,

Well I took a chance and decided to try Permagloss over water slide decals I made. I am very disappointed so far. I am hoping I can still save this build.

My procedure was as follows

Decal 1 small 3/4" x 1"

1. Sealed decal with Testors sealer.
2. Applied the small decal and waited 2 hours
3. Applied colour preserver waited 4 hours
4. Applied Permagloss and everything looked great waited 12 hours
5. Applied a second coat of Permagloss and it is pealing the first coat!

Decal 2 entire but section 5" X 1"

1. Sealed the decal, applied it waited 4 hours and applied colour preserver waited 12 hours
2. Applied Permagloss and its starting to lift/melt the decal or CP. I can't tell which one.

My Questions

1. Can I save those? The decals still look pretty good.
2. Can I wait a couple days and apply epoxy over everything's?

I put hours into making beautiful carbon grips. And this is a birthday gift for a friend so I am really hoping it can be saved.

In case you are wondering I went with PG over the decals because I am building on a white blank and the large decal is just writing on a clear decal. So the white blank is showing through and I know the epoxy will yellow. I was trying to avoid that.

This might be my first and last attempt at PG. And I bought 3 small bottles! Lol

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss Problem
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2016 09:33AM

Chris,
Since you are on a time crunch, perhaps the best way to save the build is to leave the decal off of the rod.

Then, rather than a decal, letter the rod. Use a quill pen and speed ball acrylic ink. Letter the rod, let it dry for 2 hours and apply your finish.

Not what you want perhaps, but it would get the rod delivered to your client.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2016 09:50AM

Always experiment on scrap blank - not a customers rod

This is why I seal my decals with Fixative

I also found that when a second coat of permagloss is to be used better to put it on about 15 - 20 min after first I found a later time and the second coat eats into the first

As Roger has said

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 27, 2016 10:09AM

Hi Roger,

The Decals are on the rod already. So no turning back now.

Hi Bill,

I did seal the decals with the Testors decal sealer and used CP.

Can I put epoxy over everything? If yes I will wait a couple days and apply epoxy.

BTW the rod is a gift to a friend. I don't sell rods I build for a hobby.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2016 10:38AM

Maybe the testors and CP are not compatible And if it is as bad as I have seen wrinkled permagloss maybe you should take it all off and start over and use CP and finish only

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 10:40AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (184.151.179.---)
Date: April 27, 2016 11:22AM

Hi Bill

Is there a easy way to get it off?

Can it be coated with epoxy? The rear logo is good because it only has one coat of Permagloss. The real problem is the small decal.

Thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2016 11:36AM

If you read the instructions on the PermaGloss bottle, it says to "air dry 1-hour between coats."

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 27, 2016 12:53PM

Tom , are you saying that with Permagloss you must recoat at 1 hour and if you recoat at 12 hours (or more) it is a problem?

But isn't the issue here with the first coat? With whatever was done before the initial coat?

Date: April 27, 2016 01:09PM

Yes - and this is true of many paints and coatings that contain solvents. There is a window within which you cannot recoat without the next coat reacting with the previous one. That's why you often read something in the instructions along these lines "recoating must be done within 2 hours or after 24 hours." This is not specific as to actual time, but representative of what you'll find on many coating instructions.

If I miss the 1 hour recoat with PermaGloss, I will generally wait a couple days before applying another coat.

Date: April 27, 2016 01:14PM

Hi Tom

I assumed anything after 1 hour would be fine.

Should I wait 2-3 days then add a second coat to my larger decal? It still looks good but it only has one coat.
Can I apply epoxy over the Permagloss?

Date: April 27, 2016 01:18PM

If you're going to apply another coat I'd give it a couple days. Even then, PermaGloss gives no indication of what to do if you miss the 1 hour recoat time. In most instances, I've been fine by waiting a couple days, however.

You can apply epoxy over the PermaGloss generally with no issues.

Date: April 27, 2016 02:02PM

Thanks Tom

I am going to wait a couple days and then coat with epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster