I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Explain power
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 01:52PM

Can someone please explain whether power is useful or not and how? It seems like every different type of blanks has a different scale. Even on the same species target it seems. Like a bass rod for spinner baits vs worms. And even more so, of course, when looking at different uses. Like a ML I have for 20-40 lbs line and a M I have for 8-14 lbs line. One for light near shore, the other for bass.

So I have pretty much been disregarding the power rating and going strictly off line, lure, and action ratings. Is there something I'm missing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Explain power
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2016 02:45PM

The trouble is that companies don't use any sort of standardized power rating, and some use terms rather than quantifiable numbers such as those used in the CCS as Effective Rod Number (ERN).

So if you found one company listing a "4-power" blank, it might not and probably would not be the same as a "4-power" blank from another company. When terms such as "Medium" or "Medium Heavy" are used, who knows what those mean - it would like using the terms "Short" and "Long" to describe rod length. All you can be sure of, is that they are relative to within that particular company's model line. Well, some of the time anyway. Many companies shuffle power ratings around in their own line up, with a 4-power bass rod being more powerful than a 4-power walleye or popping rod.

I think what you're doing currently is about the best you can do, other than sticking with blanks that do carry the CCS power ratings. Those will be relative across the board but only a handful of companies are using them.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: April 20, 2016 03:30PM

Thanks for clearing it up Tom. I'll just keep doing what I have been.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 06:06PM

Randy,
If you want to compare power - try to stay with one manufacturer.

If you use only one manufacturer, a rod that is marked light - and another rod that is marked medium will have the different powers and they will track correctly.

But as Mr. Kirkman mentioned - different manufacturers and all bets are off.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 06:45PM

It would be nice if they all could GET onto the Same Page

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 20, 2016 10:12PM

The nice thing to do would be to adopt an industry standard for power. Have a number that goes from 0-1000. Then, using what ever method is chosen for power, stamp the power on the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2016 01:36AM

As still pretty new to rod building I have found from pulling on blanks at the ICRBE and factory rods that even line and lure ratings are subjective. I pulled on a 30-60lb mojo cat rod the other day and it sure did not feel like it has 2x more power than my x comp 733 18-30lb blank that I am going to build up soon.The problem is many folks use a much higher lb braid than the mono rating and you don't know if the manufacture is taking that into account of the rating. A # power rating like Roger suggested would be great or recommended fighting drag.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2016 12:54PM by David Miller.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 08:56PM

We don't need a new system with ratings from 1-1000 or a drag rating or anything else new. We already have a very good system in the CCS and a few manufacturers have begun using it. To change to something else would put us further from having every manufacturer on board with an objective rating system rather than nearer.

Date: April 24, 2016 11:41AM

Michael,
Yes, the CCS system is in place.

Will the system work with rods that are in the 100-200 lb class?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 26, 2016 12:49PM

I have no idea if it works with 100-200 pound rods, but it works with everything that most of us deal with.

I would think, with no experience involved, that if a 100-200 pound rod can be flexed to 1/3 its length, CCS would work. Not sure how we attach the weights, but any system that deals with rods that heavy will have to have pretty heavy equipment to test it. I'm pretty sure you can't put 5 pounds on it and extrapolate and expect good results. I also don't think I want to be close to the equipment as the test is run.

I''m not sure what your point is. Is it that we should do a new 1000 point system so it will work with everything from a light fly rod to a 200 pound rod?

My point is only that in our efforts in getting the manufacturers to use an objective system (for at least most of our blanks/rods) it is better to have them adopt a system that exists, some of them already using it, and that most everyone in the rod industry understand rather than inventing some new system. I believe that would put us back in our efforts rather than forward.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster