I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tiger experiment
Posted by: Robert Desrosier (64.229.158.---)
Date: April 20, 2016 11:16AM

I am trying to do a simple wrap with 3 colors, 2 0n the bottom and 1 on top. I have completed the bottom portion it looks o.k. Question is do I use color preserver on the top wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tiger experiment
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 04:25PM

Why not do TWO wraps one with CP and one without This way you will see how it works Regular nylon without cp will get transparent and you will see under it It may look good both ways

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2016 05:02PM

Yes.

Date: April 20, 2016 05:09PM

OK
Why not use NCP thread on top and cut out a step

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert Desrosier (64.229.158.---)
Date: April 20, 2016 05:23PM

Thanks
I should have also asked when to use it, before or after waste thread is removed
Robert

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2016 05:29PM

Did you read the original articles on the technique in the online library here:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 20, 2016 05:52PM

Are you saying all 4 threads being the same size Understood
But instead of using regular nylon in A Understood NCP is not the Nicest looking color But using NCP on top plus the pull out - even a larger size which will be discarded Eliminating the use of CP

But then again regular nylon will look better A lot of builders have done different things - Ya never know how it will look - Unless _ ya try it
There are many posts of different ways builders have done it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.117.186.31.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 20, 2016 06:39PM

I always cp the top layer whether using nylon or ncp thread to prevent the thread from moving when I apply the epoxy. When using cp on the top layer you need to be careful and not brush across the wrap as this can cause micro bubbles to form and get trapped in the spacings and totally ruin your tiger wrap when you apply the epoxy. What works best for me is to make a 50/50 mix of flexcoat cp and distilled water. By thinning the cp with water there is less chance of it frothing and forming the micro bubbles. I hold a well loaded brush on the wrap and turn the rod with my other hand working my way along and completely saturating the wrap. I put some paper towels down to catch the drips. I then do the same procedure with a dry brush and wick off the excess then do another two more coats. When I apply the epoxy I do it the same way as the cp holding a well loaded brush on the wrap and turning the rod and not brushing across the wrap as epoxy can also cause micro bubbles to form in the spacings. When coated I wick off best part of the epoxy until I'm left with a thin sealer coat making it easy for removing air bubbles with my alcohol torch/lamp. The next coat is applied thicker and I can brush across the wrap this time without fear of forming micro bubbles in the spacings as they were sealed on the first coat.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster