I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

When should guides be double wrapped, and why?
Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-162.myvzw.com)
Date: April 14, 2016 04:17PM

Where to use a double wrap? Is a double wrap the same thing as an under wrap?

Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When should guides be double wrapped, and why?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2016 04:21PM

Not quite, but sort of. Generally, when you talk of a double wrapped guide you'd be talking about a guide that has been double over wrapped. This means two layers of thread on top of the guide feet. Such wraps are also generally under wrapped. They tend to be reserved for only the very heaviest duty, hard service rods, expected to battle large fish in demanding conditions for many seasons.

I typically don't double overwrap guides until we reach the point of something along 80b class and up rods.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: April 14, 2016 04:38PM

I just built a set of three 80-130 lb class stand up tuna rods for a friend. We started with 5 ft 6in Seeker blanks and cut them down to 48in for use with some Aftco Unibutts. My guy wanted them to look "blacked out" so I hid an underwrap under the guide feet only.. to protect the blank and then double overwrapped the rollers.
This guy is a beast and doesn't want to waste time playing a fish. He wants to beat it up and get it in the boat ASAP. I figured with the amount of pressure & flex he is likely to put on only 48 in of rod that I had better double overwrap them.
It might be overkill but it made me feel better about the rods when I handed them to him.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2016 07:20PM

I usually Double up on 50# Stand ups and above

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2016 08:29PM

Out west here 1 under wrap and 2 over wraps would be a triple wrap, pretty standard on most customs for salt except 20lb and under. Over kill for sure but you give them what they want. Easier to do than trim bands anyway.

Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-162.myvzw.com)
Date: April 14, 2016 08:59PM

So a 50-60lb Super Seeker blank might be a candidate for under wrap/ double wrap covering?

It is getting Virtus heavy guides.

Date: April 14, 2016 09:23PM

If I was doing it no question. reduces the chance of cracks at the guide feet. use 2 coats of high build too.

Date: April 14, 2016 09:23PM

If I was doing it no question. reduces the chance of cracks at the guide feet. use 2 coats of high build too.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nianet.org)
Date: April 15, 2016 09:05AM

I double wrap everything. Probably overkill on the light tackle rods (15lb and under) but strength is strength.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 15, 2016 09:08AM

Plus it will add weight to lighter rods and mess with the performance of the rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: April 15, 2016 04:33PM

Chris Harban Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So a 50-60lb Super Seeker blank might be a
> candidate for under wrap/ double wrap covering?
>
> It is getting Virtus heavy guides.

I would ...absolutely.

I burnish the first overwrap well and loosen up the tension a little for the second overwrap....I feel this helps keep the top layer from getting between the threads of the first layer.

Date: April 16, 2016 11:44AM

Last really heavy rod I double wrapped I put a good coat of Permagloss over the first wrap The thread will not go in between This is a hard coat Then finish on the top thread

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 04:50PM

Good tip Willie . I never thought permagloss would acomplish that but it makes sense.

Date: April 20, 2016 05:03PM

From reading here I kept reading of wrapping the other way so the top will TEND not to go into the bottom thread
But heck Permagloss drys fast I let it go over night Nice hard surface and you can wrap with good tension
fast turning and a nice coat to cover well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-144.myvzw.com)
Date: April 21, 2016 11:27AM

Thank you all, for the knowledge shared.

The timing of this was perfect, I just built my first 3 rods this past weekend, and needed to do an under wrap without even knowing it! One of the rods was a Super Seeker 40-60lb, root beer brown. I wrapped the base in metallic silver size A, then the feet in an up-down of black, size D, leaving a little bit of silver exposed at the ends. The reel for this rod is a Penn US113W, also black and silver. After the initial wrap of silver, I coated it in the Aftco finish, gently persuaded it to wet fully with a heat gun, then a careful wipe with acetone on a rag to ensure a smooth surface for the next layer of wraps. After some hours in a warm room, it was tight, with no problems of the black thread sinking in.

With 2 coats of the Aftco, after wrapping, the results are gorgeous, very pleased. The Aftco finish is great stuff. I learned that a 2 minute dunk of the small mixing container full of freshly mixed finish, into an ultrasonic tank, quickly removes the bubbles from the finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster