I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New - A few questions
Posted by: Clint Crawford (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 14, 2016 12:09PM

Hi everyone,

Just a couple questions if anyone could answer for me.

First, does anyone know if a place that sells rod building materials in West Michigan?

Second, what websites do you guys like for buying components? Mudhole seems like the most common, but if I needed to buy just a couple things at a time, is there a better place to do it? I know I can come up with $150 worth of stuff to buy at a time, I just don't want to have to spend that much just for free shipping. Is there any other options that offer free shipping for lower amounts?

I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions in the future. Just recently bought all the tools needed, have not bought any rod components yet. Once tax season is over I am going to start my first rod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New - A few questions
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2016 12:46PM

Clint

You can buy in advance of immediate need if that is a financial option for you.

Secondly, suggest you register with the vendors to the left on this page who accept customer registrations account creation and most do. You will then receive e-mails announcing specials, new products and services, plus sales and promotions, which sometimes include reduced or free shipping. Yes, your e-mail in box will be stuffed with mail, but the mail delete function deals with that nicely.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.230.---)
Date: April 14, 2016 01:12PM

I don't know of a W. MI rod components brick and mortar operation. I get all my stuff by ordering on line. You will most likely not find one operation that will handle everything, most have a good selection of brands, but no one has all.

I use mudhole, GetBitOutdoors , and Rod Components USA (Michigan company , on line only) for most buys, have used others also. Every operation I 've used in the last 5 years or so has had excellent customer service. I believe all the sponsors on the left do a really nice job. Some components cost about the same from most suppliers, but don't hesitate to look around for big ticket items, like blanks. Not all charge the same thing for the same product.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 14, 2016 01:15PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:39PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Clint Crawford (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 14, 2016 01:44PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will get to work on looking though the vendor list!

Posted by: Drew Longnecker (72.173.212.---)
Date: April 14, 2016 02:33PM

Clint
I also build rods in West Michigan. I don't know of a distributor in this area. The ones I use from the left side of the page are Get Bit Outdoors, Utmost and Schneiders. I'll use others is these guys don't have what I need.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 14, 2016 04:47PM

Clint
Currently I buy my most of my components and supplies from Mudhole, Get Bit, Rodgeeks, and Utmost Enterprises. I have never have had a problem with any of the above dealers that wasn't resolved quickly. In the past I have also used Anglers Workshop, Bingham Enterprises, Janns, and Midwest with no complaints. They all seem to be pretty good at what they do. I mostly use Mudhole and Get Bit because of a built in convenience factor (My daughter lives within 5 miles of each, and every time she flys for home for a visit I put in an order and she brings it with her....or....every time I go to visit her I make a stop at each place and stock up!). Utmost offers a small discount on components and ships for actual shipping costs but it still all costs money!!

Rog

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2016 08:47PM

X2 for Schneiders, great prices and they get it to you quick. If you're just starting lots of close out stuff very reasonable if you want to get a couple rods under your belt and not spend a bunch of money. No complaints about the other vendors either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster