I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What's your lately go to guides/concept set up?
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2016 02:09AM

So my last two spinning rods has been built with microwave guides (Ti Nano and SS nano) and now I'm venturing to another spinning rod build. Although I like the microwaves for simplicity I don't want to be too content yet and may try different guides and guide systems. Thinking KR alconites? Since SiC and torzite is out of my budget.. Or has anyone tried a combination of both KR and microwaves? I'm thinking airwave stripper and transition to 4-4.5 KR alconites running guides. Not sure of the weight differences in the running guides but what are your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's your lately go to guides/concept set up?
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (192.75.48.---)
Date: April 13, 2016 06:49AM

The Microwaves are a system that have been put together to work optimally. I would not suggest that you split up a set of guides . Either stay with the microwaves or try another system but dont mix two guide trains .

Myself I would stay with the Microwaves.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.253.---)
Date: April 13, 2016 06:55AM

I see no problem with your proposal of mixing other guides with the first two Microwaves. Especially with lines like braids 15 and below.

I don't like the Microwaves because of the limitations of finish/design of the guides, having to buy the whole set.

I mostly use the Fuji K series now for spin and the KR stripper for casting. Both work very well and the spin setups offer different finishes and ring materials.

One aspect of both the Microwaves and K's is their height. This allows smaller rings and contributes to better casting performance, but if you're looking to use tube storage in a boat, make sure the rods will fit into the tubes. I built a rod for my son that had to fit into the tubes on his boat and used Y guides with only two reduction guides, and it works just fine. This rod is used with jigs and needs to make long casts and it does it just fine. I think he uses 20 pound braid.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: April 13, 2016 10:23AM

Hate to say it but since the advent of the Microwave guides I don't find much benefit from spending a long time worrying about guide set up. Just use the Microwaves and set up as instructed. Seems to cast about as well as its going to get. On lighter rods I'll use the butt and transition guide and then use small Pacbay Minimas for the running guides. Now plan to use the Airwaves for a better match. It's just easy and works well.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 13, 2016 11:10AM

I’ve built several of my rods using the Microwaves and found their casting performance to be comparable to the NGC or Rapid Choke guide set-ups. They are a bit heavier, however. I agree with Michael regarding mixing of guides. The Microwaves IMO, are only optimum for “general” use (one-size-fits-all) and presumably designed as such. Their design as a “set” may be fine for factory rods or where a custom builder can satisfy a customer if he/she has a broad range of use. The pre-determined “optimum” spacings can also be a time-saving advantage.
My best set-ups for using the Microwave System is by using the first three guides Microwaves, followed by Fuji 3.5s. The Fujis keep the weight down at the tip and makes the rod feel more crisp and responsive.
I also concur with Michael about having to buy the whole set. Unless I’m wanting a set-up that’ll accommodate a wide range of reels or lines, it’s not cost-affective. For rods that I build for specific reels and/or line use, I prefer the Rapid Choke System.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 13, 2016 01:34PM

Recently I have built spinning rods using using microwave, Fuji KR micro and PacBay minima micro set ups, rarely with others. All three work very well; there is not that much difference in casting performance, and depends on what the customer likes. I have rods set up with all three different guide trains, which allows the customer to test cast each and make up his own mind. However, I personally prefer the Fuji KR and PacBay minima systems because they allow for a more custom approach to guide placement allowing for reel size, line used, and rod characteristics to be taken into account. I also do not like buying guides as a set with the one size fits all approach. I think the minima guides pair very nicely with light to medium actions rods, because they are so light, and gives these rods a very light and responsive feel. For the minma guides I use the M series for reduction guides because they have a very high frame (nearly as high as the KL-H guides), and use the F series for runners. I set them up as I do the Fuji KR guides. I have not been using the minimas that long so I cannot attest to their durability. The Fuji alconite KRs pair nicely with medium to heavy rods, because their sightly higher weight is less noticable. I do not commonly use the titanium/torzite guides because of their extreme cost. The alconites are still very light, and have a nice feel. For mainly cosmetic ressons, I do not like mixing different brands of guides, however I think mixing will not adversely effect functional performance. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2016 02:49PM

Sid,
As has been said many times in the past on this forum.

Use a guide on a rod at a particular location that meets the need of the client and the rod for the purpose for which it was intended.

It may be a 25 cent guide, or a $25 guide. If the guide suits the requirements, it is the right guide for you.

Be safe

Posted by: John DeMartini (12.54.94.---)
Date: April 13, 2016 03:42PM

If you are looking for another type of guide, look at the Pac-Bay Minima 4 guides. They are my go to guides.

John

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2016 06:53PM

Thanks guys. Thinking I'm going to purchase a few sets and try them all. I'll get some weights too. On a side note, anyone know what the actual IDs are for a size 4 and 4.5 alconites?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 13, 2016 08:13PM

As a side note, it seems like Pac Bay is trying to phase out the terms minima 3 and minima 4, since the 2016 catalog list them together as only minima guides. I assume this was done to avoid the prior confusion associated with the 3 vs 4 designations.
The PAC Bay minima guides can be bought with a titanium alloy frame, they should be very light. I have not used them yet because they do cost more, and the stainless framed minima are already an extremely light guide, seems hard to justify the extra cost.
Have not measured the IDs for the Fuji alconite KR 4.5 and 4 guides, but the minima F size 4 is about the same ID as the Fuji 4.5.
Norm

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 13, 2016 08:31PM

The 4'S were double swagged where the 3'S were only rolled over on one side leaving an edge that could fray line

That is why the 4'S were the better guides
But
They did not come in all the nice colors or finishes

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (50.153.117.---)
Date: April 14, 2016 02:00AM

just built Microwave to 4mm micro guides wave guide looks like a 20 MM with a center 6 MM

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: April 14, 2016 04:24PM

MicroWaves -TidalWaves-AirWaves..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster