I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9' crappie rod build
Posted by: Matt Wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 07:57PM

This is my second build so still very new at this. I have read the guide placement information in the library. After finally getting some free time, i started working on this rod this evening. I used an abu garcia STX5 reel which is pretty light. If I use the math for the choker guide in that article, the spool is 32mm x 27=864mm from the front of the spool. That seems very very close to my reel considering the length of my rod! I have the 9 guides on the rod now pretty well spaced apart and with a gadget i made to hold my rod at an angle, stressing the rod it looks pretty good. If I move those guides to fit that math, i either have huge gaps in my spacing or add a couple more guides which goes against the guide per foot of rod i read. Other crappie rods this length i have looked at don't seem to have that many guides.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9' crappie rod build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2016 07:59PM

Rod length doesn't matter. Neither the reel nor the line care how long the rod is. The important part is how far the choker guide is from the reel. With the same reel and line, the distance would be same even if you had two rods of entirely different lengths.

You are not limited to one guide per foot of rod length. Use what's needed. With the NGC, the running guides are going to come into the picture very quickly, leaving you with smaller, lighter guides along most of the rod's length.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 12, 2016 10:26AM

Just finished test casting a 9' crappie spin rod (PF1082 MHX) I am currently building. Using a 1000 shimano reel with 8# braid. Butt to spool axis is about 14.5"(36.5cm). Spool axis to stripper about 19.5" (50cm). Using 11 minima guides (20M, 10M, 6M, & eight 4Fs) plus matching tip top. Could also use 16M, 8M, &5M they work well also. Used the larger reduction guides because the customer uses 1000 - 3000 reel series. This rod set up is very inexpensive and will throw 1/8 oz out of sight, and throw a 1/32 very well. If you need the guide layout let me know. Should have mentioned that fuji KR guides could also be used with the same layout. I use the minimas because they are so light and thus pair nicely with a light blank. Hope this helps.
Norm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 10:43AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Matt Wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2016 09:47PM

I finished this build and fished it tonight tossing a beetle spin. Some cosmetic flaws I learned lessons on but overall it turned out well. Obviously it will fish differently in a crappie application but it was fun to flip around. This one goes to a buddy so hoping he enjoys it!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 18, 2016 09:51PM

It will probably be better then a rod off the shelf

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Matt Wright (107.77.85.---)
Date: April 19, 2016 03:36PM

So far bill, after fishing with the two I've built, store bought rods (cheap light combos I have) feel like junk!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster