I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winn grip question
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2016 08:13PM

Recently I was asked to make a rod exactly, well almost, a rod like the Kistler Magnesium 2 rod. This is a spinning rod with Winn grips and a down locking Fuji 17mm reel seat.

On the Kistler they have a Winn grip with their name nicely printed on it but it is however a 2 1/2 inch straight taper in chartreuse. Finding nothing like that on the market I had to cut down a 3 1/2 inch
grip then glue an end cap on it to make it fit and work on the rod.

It seems to me that all the Winn grips are geared toward casting rods and was wondering what everyone else does in this situation as cutting perfectly straight and gluing the eva back on is very time consuming. Or if one of our sponsors knows of any plans of Winn coming out with grips for spinning rods?

Tom

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn grip question
Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: April 10, 2016 11:34PM

I know the rod room has some of those black perfect fit winngrips and I do believe some of them were geared towards spinning rods, the only other spinning rod Winn grip I can think of is the mhx winngrips that mudhole sells.

Posted by: Cory Leiman (207.195.86.---)
Date: April 11, 2016 02:52AM

Hello. I do believe Winn has come out with their grips for the Fuji SK2 spinning seats. Have a look at Mudhole

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 10:08AM

We have WINN Spin for VSS and the WINN for SK2 fits new TVS spinning seats. Three FUJI spinning seats with WINN to match...and butt grips to match the seat grips.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 01:32PM

That straight taper you are referring to is available in 1.75 2.50 3.50 4.50 6.00

Ron Weber

Date: April 11, 2016 01:36PM

Jim do they come in chartreuse like the rod I built? That is what my customer wanted.
Tom

Date: April 11, 2016 01:37PM

Jim do they come in chartreuse like the rod I built? That is what my customer wanted.
Tom

Date: April 11, 2016 01:47PM

Ron Weber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That straight taper you are referring to is
> available in 1.75 2.50 3.50 4.50 6.00

Ron If you look at those straight taper grips you will see they are only available in dark green, Dark blue, Black and cork. The red, chartreuse, hot pink, purple and orange are NOT available in 2.50 inch lengths. There is no gray grips like on the Boyd Duckett rods either.

Not sure how others are doing using these grips but for me right now they represent 95% of what i build and the re-gripping of older cork and eva rods is almost beyond belief. I just hope and pray that they hold up for the long term.

I am sure we will see lots of additions to the Winn line up in the months to come. Especially when I see them already on the major brand rod makers.

Tom

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 04:40PM

Winn grips for the Fuji SK2 seats:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 12, 2016 09:48AM

Black only, Tom.

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 12, 2016 03:22PM

> Not sure how others are doing using these grips
> but for me right now they represent 95% of what i
> build and the re-gripping of older cork and eva
> rods is almost beyond belief. I just hope and
> pray that they hold up for the long term.
>
> I am sure we will see lots of additions to the
> Winn line up in the months to come. Especially
> when I see them already on the major brand rod
> makers.
>
> Tom

I haven't had a chance to build with the Winn grips yet since I haven't found a matching set with a big enough ID for the muskie rods I usually build.

As far as wear, I assume these are a very similar material if not the exact same as their dri-tac golf club grips. If they are the same, for a reference I installed these grips on all of my clubs last year. The only club I had wear down was about a 1/2" spot on my 7 iron which I would estimate had about 3000+ swings on it. The rest of the grip is still in great shape and I can't imagine anyone putting nearly as much torque on one small section of a rod handle as on a golf club.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster