I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

U40 LS Supreme Question
Posted by: Cory Leiman (207.195.86.---)
Date: April 10, 2016 12:04AM

Hello , I use LS Supreme all the time. About 2 1/2 years now with out a problem until yesterday. I keep my rod room at 80 degrees and always mix 3 cc's of finish and mix for 2min. or until it clears. Then put it in a tinfoil tart dish. I applied my second coat to a rod from the same bottles as the first in the same manor. My issue is that it is not setting up properly. It is firm and not moving but tacky. It seems to be curing but very slowly it seems. I am wondering what method is best to remove the finish if it does not cure. Should I use a blade and remove it. My goal is to not remove the wraps. Can I clean them up with some acetone. Let it dry and mix some new finish.? Just looking for some advise on what works best in this situation. I don't know where I went wrong this time but I for sure did something wrong. Thanks for any help. Cory

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U40 LS Supreme Question
Date: April 10, 2016 03:08AM

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I figured. I'll try the tempature idea and see what happens.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2016 09:35AM

Don't remove it. Give it another day to set, if it doesn't, mix and apply another thin coat.

Date: April 10, 2016 11:50AM

ok thanks Tom ! I did think about that option but thought it would not stay as the under coat was not hard. I will try this thank you for the help. Im sure you saved me from a big mess.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 10, 2016 12:08PM

Also try warming it up with a heat gun or hair dryer ( lightly !! ) Maybe every half hour or so

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 12:09PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2016 04:30PM

Cory

Good advice to keep it warm and give it a chance to cure, and if it does not cure then another thin coat ought to do the trick.

Question is, why did the finish not cure. Are all the finished areas and the old working mix tacky or only some areas? Inconsistent curing can result from inadequate mixing. 3 to 4 minutes mixing is better than 2 - it's hard to over mix. If nothing is curing well, the first suspect is inaccurate measures. Are you using syringes to get the most accurate measures? I've twice in the last week thought I'd withdrawn 3 ml when it was only 2 ml while not wearing my glasses. I got lucky and realized the error before it was too late. Things happen.

Good luck.

Date: April 10, 2016 05:17PM

Thanks for the replies. Donald. I'm not sure what happened to my finish ? All the areas are tacky. Yes I use syringes and I am pretty sure I did things correctly. But I did something? I'm going to say it if anything would be my mixing. I have a little routine that I use when I do finish work so I'm not sure what I did wrong but I goofed somewhere. I thought maybe my resin and hardener was maybe old but on the Trondak site it say that it has no shelf life. There was only a small amount left in the bottles and I had some other finish work so I used some new finish and syringes and did as I always do and it seems to be curing fine. I thank those that replied and Tom K. For informing me not to remove the old finish. I've never had this happen before and wasn't sure what way to go with it. Cory

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 01:11AM

Cory,
Would you build a house on sand if you had the choice to build on a solid foundation?

Putting another finish over a finish that is tacky is doing essentially the same thing. The only thing that you are doing is to encapsulate the tacky finish in between a couple of layers of non tacky finish.

Your choice.

Maybe it is fine to use this technique.

Good luck

Date: April 11, 2016 02:49AM

Hello Roger . No would not build on a poor foundation but I will try Tom K's advise on what to do. He stated that I should give it a day and if it doesn't set to apply a thin coat. The finish seams to be setting but slowly. I am going to wait until tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the comment. Cory

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2016 10:42AM

The properly mixed top coat will tend to set the undercoat. It will not remain tacky underneath.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 11:27AM

I agree with Tom. Have done this before and a fresh top coat will harden the tacky coat. Will never know you had a problem.
Norm

Date: April 11, 2016 11:40AM

Thanks for all the help people. Checked it this morning and the heat seems to be working. I can touch the epoxy in the tart cup and it is not tacky. I am going to give it more time. Want to see something funny. Watch how carefully I measure the finish and mix now. Lol. Thanks again. Cory.

Date: April 11, 2016 11:40AM

Thanks for all the help people. Checked it this morning and the heat seems to be working. I can touch the epoxy in the tart cup and it is not tacky. I am going to give it more time. Want to see something funny. Watch how carefully I measure the finish and mix now. Lol. Thanks again. Cory.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 12:10PM

Mix well that may have been the cause

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster