I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2k clear wiped on?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2016 06:38PM

Some thing to think about is the Air Brush It is basically the same as a paint gun just smaller if you are just doing one blank at a time Lighter and less wast of material
The spray pattern can be adjusted From vertical to horizontal just buy turning the tip on the gun
Play and practice with it it can do a lot

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 09, 2016 06:41PM

I'll look into that too Bill. I'd have to get a set up to run off my compressor, because I'm not going to buy a dedicated airbrush compressor. I think they have adapters.

Unfortunately I have a bit more time to consider, as the weather isn't going to be conducive to painting this weekend anyways. 85% humidity.

Date: April 09, 2016 06:46PM

You should be able to use it on a large compressor with a regulator for air adjustment
Check with you auto body store you went to

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-135.myvzw.com)
Date: April 11, 2016 11:02AM

For a gravity feed spray gun, using the small cups of the 3M PPS system, and small (1oz) mixing containers, it is easy to mix very small amounts of finish to reduce waste, and, when it is time to clean up, you do not need to clean the cup, it is disposable. Gun cleanup is much easier with this system.

Bill, I am curious about your suggestion of an airbrush... For clears, I would think that due to the low volume of finish that can be moved through an airbrush, and at a lower viscosity, that if the goal is to get a deep gloss on a rod, thus the reason for the 2k clear, that the airbrush would not be the 'goto' tool, much in the same way that a touch up gun would not be a good choice for spraying a whole car. Where the airbrush would take numerous, more tedious passes, a bona fide gravity feed HVLP, with the fan set narrow, and towards the lower end of fluid output, that the gun would be over and done with the rod blank in relatively few quick passes as opposed to the airbrush, giving a better gloss. I have only limited experience with airbrushes, but more than 30 years professional experience in spray finishing, and still going...

With the HVLP gun, again, it is important to have a small regulator at the gun handle.

Date: April 11, 2016 11:31AM

I did not know the gun was a gravity feed They are better Thought it was a suction with the cup under
Did also not realize the cups were disposable been out of bodywork and paint a long time
If body-men can do graphics on cars with an airbrush I would also think it will do a blank They are adjustable Got a two stage brush but no room for even a small compressor They have fare size jars for paint And gun and material are all adjustable

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 11, 2016 12:28PM

Yeah I have a regulator on the gun. I leave the compressor wide open and keep about 25-30 lbs at the gun. I'm going to adjust the fan size. I didn't know much about setting up my gun properly. Hopefully this will help reduce the waste.

One ting he told me was to adjust it using water because it more accurately replicates the consistency of the clear. Then run acetone through to flush out the water and prime it for a solvent based paint.

Date: April 11, 2016 01:00PM

I would rather use the reducer Try a little and shoot onto paper

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-135.myvzw.com)
Date: April 11, 2016 04:24PM

Yep, .. +1 on the reducer. All is good and fine with the water, until one little bit remains in the fluid passages of the gun and decides to contaminate your finish..

I would not use paint thinner, or denatured alcohol, either. Acetone is safe.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 18, 2016 02:05AM

So it was windy when I was going to spray, so I tried the paint on method with a sponge brush. It was on my wrapper going at speed, and I applied. The result was a deep gloss, not completely level, and...bubbles!!!

Needless to say I won't be trying that again. In any case, I stripped all the paint off and recoated with color. Will try again next weekend maybe with the spray gun.

Oh, and I sanded through the clear and tried some Permagloss before stripping completely without success. I tried with the power wrapper using a paintbrush, the drying motor with a coffee filter, and finally the wrapper with the coffee filter. I couldn't figure that one out either. Looks like I'll be sticking to the HVLP. I was really hopeful on the Permagloss.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster