I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Montague Bamboo Rod rebuild
Posted by: Joe Barauskas (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2016 02:29PM

Greetings all..I have just finished my 3rd spinning rod build and decided to take on a bamboo fly rod rehab/rebuild. It is a 9' 2 pc. Montague rod. Does anyone have any idea as to what weight this would translate into? I fish smallmouth on the Shenandoah and would like to use it there as well as for farm bond bass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Montague Bamboo Rod rebuild
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2016 03:09PM

Can you find the line diameter/taper code on the rod? These were made in many different lengths and powers.

Date: April 04, 2016 03:14PM

No I can't sadly...seems to have worn away with age. I did find this method of using length divided by the drop to the floor on bamboopurists.com though. Is there an easier way than that?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2016 03:59PM

The Common Cents System would certainly dial you in (see link to left). Or, you can take a guess and try a line or two and go from there. Most likely it'll be a rod that was designed to work with from a 4 to 7 weight line. You didn't find too many that were extremely light or heavy line rods. You'll just have to fine tune to determine which line will be best.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: April 04, 2016 07:06PM

Many times a bamboo rod will feel different to two different people. the same rod may cast a 6 wt for me but you may feel it needs a 7. the easiest thing to do is to see if your local fly shop(there are still a few of those around ,right?) has a few different lines you can try. Having cast a lot on Montys my guess is that you are looking at a 7 wt or even an 8 wt due to it being 2 pc. Actually I'd like to see a picture of the rod if you could. I don't think I've ever seen a 9' 2 pc Monty.

Posted by: Mark Redden (---.sub-97-45-1.myvzw.com)
Date: April 05, 2016 07:43AM

Montague built most of their top end rods in three different actions that they called "light trout", "medium trout", and "bass action."

As a general rule for 9 footers, the light trout is 3/4 in silk and a 4/5 with plastic. The ferrule sizes are 10/64 and 16/64.

The medium trout fishes a 5/6 in silk and 6/7 in plastic. The ferrules are 11/64 and 17/64.

The bass action fishes a 7/8 in silk and 8/9 - at least. The ferrules are bigger than 11/64 and 17/64. I have two examples. One has 12-18. The other has 13-20. I have not tried a 10 wt line on it yet because I don't have any line that heavy. It handles the 9 effortlessly.

Note that I said that those three classifications apply to the high end models. I don't think the built three different actions for all 70+ models that they sold during the "labelled" (post 1928) era. I think most of the cheaper rods were built only in the 9 foot medium trout action.

If you can provide pics, I Might be able to help you with figuring out the model. The ferrule sizes will, at least, get you close to the correct line weight.

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw that you said 9 ft 2 piece. Wow. That's rare. Let me do some research and get back to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 09:10AM by Mark Redden.

Posted by: Mark Redden (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2016 10:35AM

Joe Barauskas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greetings all..I have just finished my 3rd
> spinning rod build and decided to take on a bamboo
> fly rod rehab/rebuild. It is a 9' 2 pc. Montague
> rod. Does anyone have any idea as to what weight
> this would translate into? I fish smallmouth on
> the Shenandoah and would like to use it there as
> well as for farm bond bass.

Joe:

I am not a Montague expert, but I am a fairly knowledgeable novice. I have never heard of a two piece, nine foot Montague FLY rod. I did a bit of quick research and have not come across any reference to one. I have alerted the guy generally considered the leading Montague expert of your find.

If truly 9-0, 2/1 or 2/2 this is a wonderful find. If you have stripped it, I hope you took some "before pics." If you haven't stripped it, PLEASE STOP. The rod could be of value to Montague collectors in it's original (even ratty) condition. Even the pictures of the original condition would be of great historical (not monetary) value to Montague lovers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 10:41AM by Mark Redden.

Date: April 05, 2016 11:39AM

I'm just going to ask a few questions to maybe help with the 2 pc mystery. Is the rod 6 sided or is it round? How heavy is the rod? a rod that size should have some weight to it. It the rod is round then my guess is that it's early glass painted to look like bamboo. We all need to see pictures.

Date: April 06, 2016 09:34AM

Okay...it is actuallt not 2 bu 3 pieces - thats what I get for relying on E Bay pictures! The written description said Montague, but there were no apparent Montague markings...there was the tail end of a decal that ended in "....OE" Googled that and came up with Old Joe.

Date: April 06, 2016 10:11AM

We still want to see pictures.

Date: April 06, 2016 10:53AM

Working on those pics - with work and coaching three days per week and matches on Saturdays time is crushed...

Date: April 06, 2016 11:12AM

No rush. If you want to send the pictures direct to me also I'd be more than happy to look at it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 06, 2016 11:26AM

If you can send a LINK to the one you are looking at Then we can look also

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 06, 2016 03:22PM

[]

Date: April 06, 2016 03:44PM

I guess links are not aloud to that place

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Redden (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2016 03:50PM

Joe:

Cut and paste the Title Line listing here

We can then do an advanced search for sold items on that site and see the pics there.

Date: April 06, 2016 03:55PM

or if you have the listing number.

Date: April 06, 2016 04:09PM

It seems he is looking at this rod - but - has not yet bought it
He may be better to get a blank and then build a rod -- Hint Gary

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster