I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Corn Cob Handle
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 10:56AM

I have seen several images of corn cob handles. I searched the forum and came up empty. So my question is how are these handles made. Are they epoxy empregnated like cork? I am from Nebraska and they would make perfect handles for a pair of rods I am thinking about building.

Thanks.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corn Cob Handle
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 01:17PM

cork epoxy empregnated ???? I am not sure of that where did you see that ?????????? please fill us in on that .

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 01:34PM

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 01:36PM

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 03, 2016 02:05PM

They make pipes and pens out of them and they look great, I would search making corn cob pens for a start and maybe use a real slow set epoxy instead of CA glue. I think it's a great idea I bet you could even dye them or tint them for some color. Jaa

Posted by: chris blackburn (107.77.68.---)
Date: April 03, 2016 08:23PM

There's a video on YouTube of how to prep the corncob for turning. They soak them in a liquid that hardens them. They look amazing when done. Almost like fish scales. I think the guy is making pens out of the ones in video. I think you could use acrylic like the guys that make the wood/acrylic blanks instead of whatever liquid the guy uses. However, cool thing about that liquid is the guy uses it over and over.

Posted by: chris blackburn (107.77.68.---)
Date: April 03, 2016 08:28PM

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 09:40PM

That was pretty cool. The only problem I see is that you need a big diameter corn cob to make fishing grip! They look good.
Norm

Date: April 04, 2016 12:10PM

I was thinking of the reel seat. About the same diameter as the pen he made. Only problem is its the wrong time of year to get corn cobs from the farms.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2016 01:08PM

Save yourself some time and buy one that is truly stabilized, will hold up much better to the elements than one done with CA

Ron Weber

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 04, 2016 01:08PM

Some suppliers of pen maker materials have corn cob blanks already stabilized. Try Rockler.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: April 05, 2016 08:02AM

John, I agree with you. I think the cob handles or reel seat would look amazing. I first saw stabilized corn cob as a set of knife handle scales from a friend who is a custom knife maker. He told me that it can be very difficult to work with and 1 or 2 out of every 5 he gets break during shaping (even though they're stabilized.) He has a really significant upcharge for the cob because it's such a hassle to work with. I still want to try it at least once, but have yet to find the appropriate build for it. Please let me know how it turns out and post pics. If you would like, I can see if I can find out his supplier and email it to you (or if one of the sponsors here has some, I hope they'll speak up.. I'd prefer to buy from a sponsor)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2016 05:31PM

Here is a source for stabilized corn cob blanks www.exoticblanks.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 05:32PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: April 23, 2016 12:20PM

Ok,

Here is what I have found so far. I found some cobs in a field from last falls harvest. Cleaned them well then soaked in a rit dye overnight. Rinsed with cold water the next day and let dry for a good 24 hours. Then into a bath of Minwax wood hardener. Again a good 24 hours. Let it dry for two days, then put it on the lathe. It initially turned really well. But as I turned it, I found the cob was not large enough in diameter to make a seat. I also found that the cob is not symmetric. So I got part of the turning down to the actual cob, the other part still had the "seed containers". Also the stain did not get to the cob, so it was the natural color.

So two problems so far. Color penetration and size. I took the cob and re-dyed it. Now the dye penetrated to the cob part and actually really looks great.

So, here is my next plan. First stabilize the cob with the wood hardener. Once dry, drill the cob and mount on my reel seat mandrel. I think mounting it will give me a better chance of "forcing" symmetry. Turn to diameter. Then dye it, let the dye dry and again into the wood hardener.

The size problem may be significant. I have heard some people get cobs from Walmart in the pet food section. I'll check that out and if I can find some larger cobs, give it a try. If not, then I'll use the smaller ones to experiment on and see how things turn out. In either case, I'll try to get some photos posted here when I get things to a point where it might be a viable process.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster