I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Center Finder
Posted by: William Bauer (216.105.66.---)
Date: April 02, 2016 03:59PM

Found a neat little tool to find the center of rod blanks. The pro's on this site probably already know about it or have a different method but I thought it was worth mentioning. I found it at [www.rockler.com] and drilled out the center hole to about 3/16" to accommodate the china marker lead. Just slide it up the blank to make a mark where your guides are laid out.

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Center Finder
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 04:11PM

I use my eyeballs, being off a fraction of a MM off, if at all, makes no difference in the performance of the rod.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 05:29PM

I am A DO DO ? but where would a small time rod builder use it ? after saying that it looks great an a wood worker could use it, but I don't see it for the average rod builder if I am wrong do fill me in thanks, this is just a question not to trash the the unit because it is a neat unit , just not for the average rod builder

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2016 06:10PM

It is a neat tool but there's a problem using one to center mark a round object. There is no way to easily keep the tool itself centered on the circumference.

Lynn Williams was working on a tool that would do that, and accommodate the taper of the rod blank as well, but the intricacy and cost involved precluded him from bringing it to market.

The great use such a tool would have, of course, lies in things like perfect guide alignment.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 06:18PM

I love how builders like to complicate things
Put the guides on as per spacing chart Or every 5" apart Static test done ! Test cast adjust

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 02, 2016 07:50PM

The tool centers itself, as long as the two posts on the bottom stay in contact with the rod blank. Just lock the blank in your wrapper and slide the tool down the blank it will stay centered. No need to run a line down the whole blank just where the guides are to be attached. I have seen CBR make a laser to sight down the blank but this seems to be easier and less costly.

Bill

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2016 08:33PM

But you have to hold it on the circumference center - it won't do that for you as it's made for use on square objects. You could easily draw a spiraled line around the rod blank. It might be down the center of the blank, but not necessarily on the same axis.

Date: April 02, 2016 11:43PM

I have found that if you hold the marker vertically, the mark will be in a straight line down the center of the blank.
[s37.photobucket.com]

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 09:56AM

Hello William.

I agree with Tom on this one, I home made a jig like that one without the fancy stuff, just a 3" piece of wood with 3 holes drilled down the center line, then put 2 dowels, one at each end and a grease pencil hole in the center and it is hard to keep a real straight line using it.

I bought one of the lasers from MudHole, and it works fine.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: April 03, 2016 08:29PM

I agree with Bill. I was one of those builders that made guide placement complicated with lasers, tools, etc. I find having my shop lights centered on my rod lathe makes it very easy. I mark my guides then by standing over the blank looking down I can see a bright line down the blank created by the light reflecting off the blank. My guides are always very close to perfect. After wrapping I make a couple minor adjustments and they're ready. Give it a try. Good luck, MH

Date: April 03, 2016 09:54PM

I never had a problems with using Eye Sight to locate guides after a static test
After the tip top is glued on and aliened to the reel

Just another tool that will be used ONCE and then put in a box and never used again

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 04, 2016 12:27AM

I align the guides by eye, however I take the rod outside in the sun light and I sight down the rod at different targets or backgrounds such as, cars, trees, walls sky anything that is around. After some trial and error I find a background which illuminates the rod and presents a spectacular sight picture and from there I make my final adjustments.

Also it gets me out of the house.

It is obvious from all the posts that each of us are happy to share our pet process and hope to be of some help.

Good fishing

john

Posted by: Jim Upton (108.0.222.---)
Date: April 04, 2016 11:55AM

Using a "V" block, set a "T" square from the outside edge of the block to the center of the "V". Now put the blank in the "V" block and locate the axis you want the guides on so it aligns with the end of the square.. Secure the blank so it will not move. Now using the "T" square and "V" block you can mark the chosen axis anywhere along the blank you want by sliding the "V" block up or down the blank.

Date: April 04, 2016 01:41PM

This tool probably would not be something an experienced builder would use. But, being a beginner, I found that it would draw a centered line down a blank no matter the diameter or tapper of the blank. There is no need to draw a line down the entire blank, only the locations where the guides will be placed. The price was right and even though it was made for wood working I think there is some crossover uses. Just keeping an open mind for any tools that help me gain some experience in the craft.

Bill

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2016 09:14PM

25 years ago I was building a rod for a machineist friend of mine who saw me struggling to find the center line. He took the old frame base from a penn reel and put a small 1" screw in the center and it works like a charm, don't know what I'd do without it. Yankee ingenuity.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: April 05, 2016 02:47AM

I made one quite a few years ago using 1/4" perspex sheet about 3"long & 1" wide with 3 1/4" holes drilled 1 I the centre & the other 2 1" from the centre .It worked for me for a number of years until I made a different style of layout system .I found as long I kept the marking pencil vertical & the dowels firm against the side it worked perfectly

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 06, 2016 05:27PM

Sheridan,

I think I understand what you are describing, but can you post a picture? I'm not sure it is much different than the tool discussed in the original post.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: April 07, 2016 05:35PM

I take it you use this to mark the blank where the guides will go ????
I put the handle and seat on finding the straightest axis Mark the top or O of the rod Then glue the top on to the seat Cast - Spin _ or spiral wrap Then put the guides on 1 per foot ( to start ) Static test Which will tell me where the guides go and if I need another or less guides
test cast Simple and easy

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster