I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aero spinning reel seat
Posted by: brian rossi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 01:34PM

I know these seats are quite popular with a lot of people. I built a rod with one a few years back (size 16) and found it very comfortable. I ended up cutting it off because it wouldn't hold my reel tightly (stradic 2500) without tape on the reel foot. I really did like the feel of the seat and would like to use them on some rods I have planned.

I'm thinking maybe the seat I got was defective but I was wondering what everybody's experience has been with them. Do they typically hold your reels nice and tight?

Thanks

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aero spinning reel seat
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 01:49PM

Brian,
Normally, these seats will hold a reel just fine. It is possible that the foot on your reel is so thin that it wobbles without adding tape to it.

If you do find that you have an issue with this reel on a different seat, the solution is pretty simple. Just trim a bit off the ends of the reel seat foot - and then the reel foot will be thicker. With the reel seat a bit thicker, the reel will not wobble and will be well secured to the reel seat.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 01:51PM

On my rods if a seat is loose I beef up under the reel feet with either tape of thin strip of plastic Beats cutting a nice seat off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 03:34PM

Brian

I have built about 8 or 9 rods for myself and friends using the Aero reel seats in both size 16 and 17. I have never noticed any problems with the reel loosening on any of my personal rods, and have not had any complaints from friends. Did you get the "comfort finish" version?

Rog

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 04:10PM

I am only guessing, but I imagine that the issue that the original poster has is that he has a reel that is very thin at the ends and as a result loose in the reel seat - even when the nut is tight on the ends of the reel foot.

I expect that if one were to use a caliper and measure the thickness and then measure the thickness of the reel seat slot, that the problem would be quickly revealed.

Be safe

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.75.---)
Date: April 02, 2016 04:42PM

Thanks for your responses.

I'm certain it isn't the reel, I use that same reel on many different rods without any issue. I had the same problem regardless of witch reel I tried on it. No matter how tight it was put on there it had pretty substantial side to side wiggle. Sounds like nobody else has had any issues so I'll just assume there was some kind of defect under that hood that prevented it from holding tight.

Thank you

Brian

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 02:08AM

While not that reel seat I have had problems with other reel seats where on pocket is cast into the reel seat. A bit of light work in the pocket with a small burr on my dremel tool has fixed most problems.

Posted by: Brett Hinson (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 01:19PM

I had a problem with two of the Aero seats not holding the reel tight. I called AT , was told they had a problem with a run of the seats. They replaced the defective ones, I have had no more problems with them. This happened last year.
Thank You American Tackle for great customer service.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster