I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A few reel seat questions
Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 01, 2016 07:23PM

Hello, I have a RCLB79ML. I'm either going to pair it with my Jigmaster or 112H reel for casting either bait or heavier lures. I have a size 20 aluminum seat for it, but was thinking about downsizing to a size 18 graphite. I will be using 30 lbs line and probably 8 - 10 lbs of drag.

Would anyone suggest a trigger seat for this type of casting? The round trigger seats only go down to size 20. I think it will have to be round because of the reel clamp.

Will graphite stand up to the drag setting I plan to use?

I have the same seat for a RCJB84H. On this blank there doesn't seem to be a lot of excess diameter between the blank and seat. Should I worry about flexing the blank to the point of the reel seat if it hooks into a big fish? I know the graphite ones are made to flex, but the aluminum may give some issues.

Thanks,

Randy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A few reel seat questions
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 01, 2016 08:38PM

I would suggest do a heavy duty graphite real seat And don't' worry about it What ever will fit the reel

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2016 09:05PM

I'd use a pipe type, no trigger reel seat, when your reels get as big as your going the trigger gets in the way, to my way of thinking. When the reel is narrow enough and small enough in diameter to palm the reel than I think triggers are fine, when the reel dictates where your hand can be than the pipe reel seats let your hand move around more comfortably. Your graphite seat will take many times more load than you will be subjecting it to.
I would make sure to have an arbor under where your going to put the reel clamp just to be on the safe side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 09:12PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: April 01, 2016 09:51PM

Spencer, I will take it into account. I bought some drywall tape for arbors based on something I read awhile back. It's supposed to be good because it is a mesh tape and the epoxy can penetrate it somewhat, unlike masking tape.

Thanks bill. I will look at the graphite models. I think I would be more comfortable with a size 18. The 20 just seems so big. Thanks!

Date: April 01, 2016 10:02PM

prep the inside of the seat And the blank and us a graphite arbor Glue the arbor into the seat - Then ream to fit the blank It is the easiest way

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 01, 2016 11:24PM

Bill I haven't found anything in my readings about blank and seat prep. In fact I've read that you don't want to sand down graphite finish because it weakens the blank. Can you point me in the right direction?

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 12:20AM

I think he means you RUFF UP THE BLANK where you want the seat to go , AN REEL SEAT [ in side ] so epoxy will grab, could be wrong

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 01:44AM

Randy,
They are talking about a water break-free scuffed surface to ensure the epoxy gives you a maximum bond. I use X fine Scotch Brite pad for surface preparation.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 02:10AM

This may help:

[rodbuilding.org]

Don Becker

Date: April 02, 2016 09:23AM

Your correct Prep Just scoff the area where the seat will go and inside the seat for better grip or bond

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 02, 2016 12:16PM

Spencer, just for reference, the seat I am talking about is this: [www.getbitoutdoors.com]. It's not a heavy duty. The heavy duty graphite starts at a size 22, which is even larger than the aluminum i have. I know Alps makes one, but it costs twice as much. And because I only build for myself (for now) cost is a factor. If that one won't stand up to the use, I will stick with the aluminum one.

Bill and Spencer, thanks. I will start doing that with the scotch brite pads. I have a power wrapper on the way, so that should be an easy quick swipe down the blank with it spinning.

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 08:23AM

You'd be ok with graphite just don't tighten the clamp down extra hard. I'd go with aluminum one if you're going to be using a 114. Look inside the reel seat to make sure it's not smooth, some don't come with small channels to hold the glue, you might have to rough it up a bit.

Date: April 03, 2016 11:08AM

Thanks for the reassurance, Sheridan. It's a 112H, so I think I'll be ok. I have a Fin Nor 4/0 size reel for a YoYo rod I'm building, and that one is getting an aluminum one. I talked to a local tackle shop about some things and they said the same as you. I went ahead and ordered the Fuji graphite and sent back the aluminum. I imagine that being a Fuji, it will have the channels, but I will check.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster