I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another lathe question!
Posted by: Patrick baker (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 10:19AM

Roger, this is mostly for you as you gave me a lot of lathe instructions....but, I'm a newbie and have already failed at my first order on chucks. When the ordered the lathe is bought this chuck for the head...2 In. MT1 Shank Mini Lathe Drill Chuck... It's a 3 jaw chuck that I planned on using in the head stock and using a live center for the tail stock. I don't know why but I thought I'd be able to mount the 18 mandrel made by alps that I purchased. However, that chuck doesn't allow me to pass the mandrel through the head stock. So basically an 18 inch mandrel with both head and tail chucks is about 3 inches too long.

I also bought a Jacobs chuck from harbor freight that I wanted to use for center drilling, however this doesn't fit into the tail stock! I thought something that said "MT2" would fit for some reason...can you send me info on a Jacobs chuck that I can use for drilling purposes with this thing?

Name 1/2 In. Mini-Lathe Drill Chuck
SKU 42340
Material Low Carbon Steel
Quantity 1
Spindle Taper MT2
Chuck size (in.) 1/2 in.
Product Weight 1.85 lbs.
Shipping Weight 1.11 lb.

You also sent me a link to a spindle adaptor and a taig 3 jaw chuck....is this the setup that I'm looking for so I can fit the mandrel through the headstock? Thanks for the help in advance...learning this lathe is kicking my butt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another lathe question!
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 11:58AM

Patrick:

I went back and checked all of your posts. When I checked your first post about the lathe, I see that you did not mention the particular lathe that you have purchased.
You mention that you have purchased an 18 inch lathe.

When I look at the harbor freight web page: here is the page with their lathes listed:

[www.harborfreight.com]

On this page - there is only one 18 inch lathe listed:

It is this one:
[www.harborfreight.com]

Before any advice is given - is this the lathe that you have purchased. i.e. the 18 inch 5 speed lathe?

This lathe has 18 inches between the head stock and tail stock to allow you to turn 18 inch stock. Just need to first verify that this is indeed the lathe you purchased.

This is the manual for the 18 inch lathe: [manuals.harborfreight.com]

Just to be clear - the lathe that I own, is an excelsior lathe - that appears to be identical to the harbor freight lathe.

The excelsior lathe has a 1x8 thread on the head stock with an mt-2 taper on the head stock. The tail stock also has an mt-2 taper.

-------------------------------
When I read all of the information on the web page, as well as the manual for your harbor freight lathe, there is no mention of the thread size on the head stock nor the taper on the head stock.
However, it does indicate that the tail stock is an mt-2 taper .

The jacobs chuck that you have which is sku 42340 has an mt2 taper which should fit both the head stock as well as the tail stock.

Remember, if you are going to install a tapered something into the tail stock you need to advance the tail stock about an inch from its normally closed resting position. The tail stock is such that supposing that you start with an item inserted into the tail stock with the tail stock advanced about an inch or so- you will find that to remove the item from the tail stock you just have to close the tail stock all of the way with the hand wheel and the push block that is at the back of the tail stock will eject or push out the item that is in the tail stock. I am thinking that the reason that you do not have you jacobs chuck fit - is because you have tried to install it into the tail stock with the stock fully closed. If that is the case, open the tail stock up with the hand wheel on the tail stock and try again.

Assuming that the jacobs chuck now works, do the same thing for the head stock. i.e. verify, that if you put the jacobs chuck into the head stock that it will fully seat and be functional in the head stock.

--------------------------------
You also indicated that you have purchased a 2 inch chuck with an MT-1 taper. Does this chuck fit into the head stock and lock up nicely, or does it simply slip into the head stock but not lock into position?
I am familiar with the 2 inch chucks that have the MT-1 taper, and they work well for a lathe that has an MT-1 taper. So, if you have the MT-2 taper on your head stock which I don't think you have, the jacobs chuck that you have purchased should fit perfectly into the head stock but the 2 inch chuck with its mt-1 taper should fit neither the head stock nor the tail stock correctly.

-------------------------------
To be able to use a chuck that allows you to slip a mandrel through the head stock requires that you have a chuck that screws on the outside of the headstock using the threads on the outside of the headstock to affix the chuck.
Again, you need to double check the thread size, but the Excelsior that I have has a 1x8 thread on the outside of the head stock. So you need to get a chuck with an open back that has a backplate with a 1x8 thread that will screw onto the head stock threads.

Summary:
Check the size of the tail stock taper and the head stock taper - they both should be MT-2.
Check the thread size on the head stock - I believe that it should be a 1x8 thread.

Then, if those three things are true you need to buy accessories that use an MT taper with ones that have the MT-2 taper in particular.
Any thing that threads onto the head stock assuming that you have a 1x8 thread - needs to have that inside thread on any item like an open back chuck that you would screw onto the headstock.
-------------------------------------------------------
For example, here is a faceplate that work may be attached that has a 1x8 thread. If you order it, you should be able to screw it directly onto the head stock if your head stock has 1x8 threads.

For example, here is a 1/2 inch keyless chuck that has an mt-2 arbor and if your lathe has the expected mt-2 tail stock, it should be a perfect fit:
[www.pennstateind.com]

?????????????????????
Now, if this is the 2 inch chuck that you ordered that has an MT-1 taper, it should fit neither the head stock nor the tail stock. But, if you do find that this chuck fits either the head stock or tail stock you will know that the one that it fits into has an mt-1 taper.

[www.harborfreight.com]

Also, as you found out, if you use a chuck that has a closed back and an arbor on the end to use in a head stock or tail stock you will not be able to slid a mandrel through it, nor through the head stock.

==========================
If you want a 3 inch chuck with an open back that screws onto a 1x8 headstock, here is an example of a decent chuck for a reasonable price:

[www.grizzly.com]

Note the 1x8 threads on the chuck? Also, note that the threads go all of the way through the chuck, so that the chuck can screw onto the head stock and still leave the hollow head stock open to be able to insert a mandrel?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I would suggest that you just return the items that do not fit on your lathe or are not wanted, and rather - purchase items that do fit onto your lathe and are wanted for your needs.

If you look at this page of Grizzley lathe chucks, you should be able to use any of the chucks that have the 1x8 thread designation on them.

[www.grizzly.com])

I am sorry if you received any incorrect information from my on my prior posts.

Good luck and happy turning.

Roger

Date: March 31, 2016 12:22PM

Ok, I was wrong...I have a 12 inch lathe. Central machinery 95607. It's the one listed in the first link you posted. So I do have the MT1 taper for sure because that 2 inch 3 jaw chuck fits perfectly into both the tail and the head. As for the threading I'm going to have to look at the manual online for that. I bought this thing used so it didn't come with one.

Makes perfect sense why the Jacobs chuck doesn't fit that I bought! I won't even return the thing....I'll post it in the buy sell section here and donate it to someone who needs one. Live and learn, $20 isn't the most I've wasted!

As for the grizzly 3 jaw chuck, that looks like what I need. I'll make sure it fits before I buy...I appreciate all the help. You didn't steer me wrong at all. I just have no idea what I'm doing with this thing...would've helped if I knew what it was the first time! I'll have to search around grizzly site for a 1 MT tapered live center and make sure thatb3 jaw head works and I should be good to go.

Thank you very much

Date: March 31, 2016 12:59PM

I called grizzly, looked at my manual and got it all straightened out. I have a 3/4 inch spindle with 16 TPI. Makes it easier to order when I know what I'm looking for...thanks for all your help

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 03:47PM

Patrick,
Makes sense.
On the link to the Grizzly chucks there are several chucks that have the 3/4 x 16 threads. Common for the smaller lathes to have the 3/4x16 head stock threads and the MT-1 taper for the arbors.

Just in case you are interested, the Taig 3 inch - 3 and 4 jaw chucks have the 3/4 x 16 threads. These are very nice chucks for about $60 each.

Here is a link to the Taig accessories:

[www.taigtools.com]

By the way, when you go down to the 3/4 inch diameter head stock from the 1 inch diameter head stock, the inside hole gets to be quite small. So, depending on your particular lathe headstock, even with an open back chuck, you are still going to be limited to the size mandrel that will slide through the head stock to the diameter of the inner hole on the head stock shaft.

I am guessing that the inside diameter is going to be perhaps 5/16th or maybe 3/8ths or so -

Good luck

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster