I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

High sticking the rod, holding rod above grip...
Posted by: Mark Vanderhoof (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2016 10:24AM

I've been watching quite a few fly fishing videos recently. I'm surprised by how often i see an angler, "accomplished" anglers fighting a large gamefish and placing there hand on butt section above grip and also high sticking the rod. I've been always taught not to do that for one; because you give up the power of the butt section by placing your hand on the blank above grip and also increase your chances of breaking the rod. Same with high sticking; good way to break the rod. Am i wrong? Am i missing something?...... Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High sticking the rod, holding rod above grip...
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 10:44AM

"High sticking" only happens when the rod is being used to lift something close to the butt of the rod. This pulls the tip of the rod down, parallel to the butt, in an upside-down "U" shape. Most rods are not built to do this, and they will break. Fighting a fish some distance away bends the rod in a rounded "L" shape, which it is built to withstand. Grasping the rod above the grip simply increases leverage and is not "high sticking" until the fish (or snag) is within a few yards of the angler.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2016 03:33PM

You're not wrong, in fact, you're correct. Just because you see somebody on a fishing video doing it doesn't mean it's okay. High sticking can easily break a rod in the upper third, and grasping the rod above the grip in an effort to reduce the leverage advantage the fish has places a greater load on an area of the blank not designed to handle it.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: March 26, 2016 03:54PM

I work for a major outdoors chain.. What I find is that most broken rods break it two place because of two different things. "High-sticking" the rod when the butt section of the rod is pointed straight up in the air while the tip section is forced to bend down towards the snag or fish breaks the rod usually three guides down the blank from the tip.. and reaching up the butt of the blank, above the grip will break a two piece rod just below the ferrule or about half way down the blank. This is not every case, but the majority of broken rods that come in where the guy claimed he was fishing, and the rod just broke, can be traced back to this. Just sayin'..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 04:30PM

As long as the front 1/2 of the rod does not bend past 90 degrees, it should make little difference where the blank is grasped to achieve this.

Just don't grab the rod at the mid point of the rod and have the rod bend try to bend to 160 degrees. This is the perfect storm for a broken blank.

Be safe

p.s.
This is exactly the reason why many very heavy action blanks and very very heavy saltwater blanks are shorter. A shorter blank lets the angler exert more pressure on the fish with the same amount of force at the reel.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 07:04PM

If the pros paid for all their rods they would be more careful.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 07:21PM

They never show you how many they break
But
They are fishing for a NICE deal of money

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 26, 2016 07:49PM

make sure that you don't watch any Bill Dance stuff. He is notorious for placing the butt of the rod on the deck with the tip straight up while he brings in the "big ole girl". I cringe every time that I see it.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 29, 2016 10:51AM

I don’t think it’s so much the “angle” configuration of a rod that makes it susceptible to failure as it is the “bend radius”…..especially within a given length, where stresses could exceed the elastic limits (I.E., tweaking a rod tip between thumb and forefinger). If a rod was long enough, it could easily accommodate a 180 degree angle or more, so “high-sticking” wouldn’t be so much a problem as the rod being unwieldy.

The 90 degree rule may be applicable for most rods, but it may be too much for a short stiff rod….or in some cases of “grasping the rod above the grip”. A rod will accommodate a certain amount of bend/flex per inch and since the blank is tapered, the amount is progressive. Length is a factor in how much load it can carry and although increased lengths will inherently increase “power” (load capacity), it also decreases leverage. I’ve extended rods to improve castability and saw a gain in power, but for me, they also felt more flexible and unwieldy. Another example would be “crankbait rods”, which many anglers prefer so as to prevent ripping out treble hooks. These rods don’t necessarily lack power, and their flexibility is purpose-driven, but they feel like buggy whips to me.

I think a rod’s “power” and/or length can sometimes be confused with “leverage”. I typically shorten all my blanks to gain (my) preferable attributes (agility, lure control, accuracy, stiffness, sensitivity, leverage) and I’m aware that doing so decreases the “power” rating (load capacity), so it’s factored into my applications and use.

In a situation where maximum force or load is needed, such as freeing a snagged lure, the rod itself may be the “weak link” in the power train. We all know that pointing the rod in the direction of the load would exclude it as a factor and the line strength determines the applicable force.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 11:25AM by jim spooner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster