I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bobber Blank
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2016 10:19PM

Hello,

Looking for a light power fast action blank in the 8-9' foot range. So far all the ones I've seen are light power with mod-fast action. The rod will be used as a bobber rod for panfish to steelhead.

I was also thinking of using a fly rod blank but in what weight would be equivalent to a light power fast action spinning rod?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bobber Blank
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 11:28PM

Maybe get an 8' mod-fast blank and extend it 9'

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 12:42AM

MHX makes a 8' 6" ML fast action steelhead blank ST1022, and St Croix has a 9' ML fast steelhead blank 3SC90MLF2. I have built on both as bobber spin rods for crappie fishermen who fish from shore below a spillway. Some of the bobber fishermen down here tend to prefer 9'-10' fast action medium power steelhead blanks. I think a fast action fly rod blank lighter than an 8 or 9 wgt will feel sloppy when casting. No matter what you use build as light as you can using Fuji kr, or AT microwave, or PacBay minima guides. Depends on your preference all will give you a light and responsive rod.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 12:41PM

Sid,
Since the bobber is doing the bite sensing - what is your reason to use a fast action blank for this type fishing.

I have used and built up such rods before, but I have gotten rid of all of the rods built on such blanks. I much prefer to use a mod-fast action for this type fishing. I lose many fewer fishing using the mod-fast blanks, rather than the fast action blanks.

Having said that, the Batson Rainshadow RX7 blank - HS930 is a 7'9" blank that has a light power in an extra fast action - that would meet your requirements, if you extended the butt a bit.

RX7-HS930

Date: March 24, 2016 02:31PM

Hey Roger,
I think part of it is the feel of a fast action rod versus a mod-fast. I'd like a rod that is light enough to absorb the fish yet has a fast recovery or crisp feeling. From my experience, mod to mod-fast rod feels a little heavier throughout and sluggish. Not sure if I'm explaining it right though! I guess fast because it's crisper and doesn't require as much lift to set the hook.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 04:05PM

Sid,
I have built using 9 and 12 foot MHX crappie blanks and I know what you are saying about "feeling heavy".

I would be looking at a light or medium light steelhead blank. I would be looking at St Croix 5SC90MLF2-G or 3SC90MLF2.

I would also look at carbon fiber for the handle. I no longer use anything but Carbon Fiber.

Also, I would be using single foot fly guides for runners and Pacbay minamas.

Good building, Doug

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 08:28PM

You're really going to have to decide which is more important, crappie or steelhead? Different sizes, mouth structures, and techniques. I'd use the characteristic of a Rainshadow IST 1141 as a start. Short rods make lousy steelhead float rods, to long and getting fish in the boat or on the bank can be a problem.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: March 25, 2016 09:28AM

How about using a 9 foot 5 wt flyrod blank. I am sure that you are not throwing a huge bobber, one of the IM6 two piece blanks would probably work just fine,.

Posted by: Mark Vanderhoof (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2016 10:18AM

I built a 9' bobber rod for crappie using a 2pc 4 wt fly blank. I absolutely love it! I used the microwave spinning guide set and this rod casts great with them. Perfect rig for bobber fishing. Definitely take a look at fly blanks.

Date: March 26, 2016 04:31PM

Not very many fly rods have a an action that is called fast.

This particular person making the post wanted a blank with a fast tip.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 06:35PM

Schneider's has a few 7 and 8 wt. RX8 fly blanks left it appears, there's the Pac Bay Quicklines in reasonably priced blanks. A fast fly rod blank is nowhere near a fast bass blank in feel or action though. I've CC'd a few steelhead medium powered ( 8 to 12 lb. line ) gear blanks, they seem to come in between a 12 to 14 wt. fly rod blank equivalent for the most part. This surprised me, thought they would be lower powered in fly blank comparisons. I have a few of the old 2 piece, 12 wt. RX8 blanks, I may try to make into gear rods, their blank weights are right in there with the lightest weight gears blanks I've seen.
He didn't say how much he was willing to spend, how many pieces, and his description of the feel and casting reaction he expected from the blank didn't really jive with what I felt when I built a few travel gear rods on these blanks. He attributes the action of the rod it appears to reaction of the rod and I've found that not always to be the case especially in lighter powered blanks, and what it's made of can make a difference.
Throwing bobber/bait, bobber/jig setup, or weight and soft bait setup like steelhead drift gear is a bit different, you don't want the end result to end up in a piled up mess, or for it to throw off your bait, no more than you wouldn't want a setup on your fly rod that won't turn over your leader and fly. I wouldn't want to take on steelhead on a 4 or 5 wt. rod on a regular basis let alone try to throw a steelhead float setup on one.

Date: March 27, 2016 01:27AM

There are several 9000 style Hot Shot blanks that have a mag light tip with good backbone.

I commonly use these 9000 blanks for bobber rods with great feel and success.

Different manufacturers - make the 9000 blanks.

Be safe

Date: March 27, 2016 11:07AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I found my blank..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster