I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glass rods
Posted by: Shawn McQuade (184.20.26.---)
Date: March 24, 2016 02:25AM

So, I am about to start on a 3wt glass fly rod. I started looking up some pictures of some other builds for some inspiration on thread color and what not. I have never built a glass rod before, and only actually built one other rod. The bright color blanks (usually) make for some pretty and colorful designs with thread wraps. But what I started to notice was a trend of people doing some interesting wraps. What it looks like to me is that they wrap without the guide on the rod. Then seem to place the guide over the wraps, and just epoxy them on. Are they doing wraps with like clear monofiliment thread to keep the guides in place before epoxying? Or are they just epoxying them on, without actually wrapping? What is the reason for this? Just a cool effect?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glass rods
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-248.nextgentel.com)
Date: March 24, 2016 03:05AM

Posted by: Wyatt Rutherford (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 08:20AM

I just finished a 3wt blue fiberglass rod; went with FishHawk silk color code: 212. Completely transparent after I epoxied them. If you do go for transparent guide wraps, I'd recommend wrapping your guides with gloves to prevent getting any oils on the threads that could effect the guide wraps from becoming transparent.

Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 09:04AM

I just built a glass rod with the transparent wrap look. Just use natural silk and thin your epoxy.
[fiberglassflyrodders.com]

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2016 11:10AM

Shawn

Thoughts for you:

Never mono for wraps.

You can go for transparent (clear / invisible) wraps or translucent (light passes through the thread to the blank then reflects back) wraps. Regardless of whether you go for transparent or translucent, silk is your friend.

Definitely do test wraps first to perfect your process and technique for transparent or to confirm color choice for translucent.

Depending on the type of glass there might not be a detectable spine and the rod sections might have a slight curve. You get to decide whether to mount guides inside or outside the curve. Some manufacturers suggest mountain on the outside of the curve.

Glass rods sometimes have spigot ferrules instead of sleeve over ferrules. Remember to make ferrule reinforcing wraps for both the male and female sides of a spigot ferrule.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster