I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why do major rod manufacturer's use COF guide concepts?
Posted by: Steve Grey (66.62.92.---)
Date: March 23, 2016 09:12AM

I just started rod building this last year and I have built two spinning rods and one fly rod so far. I have used the NGC for my spinning rod guide concept so I have no experience with the cone of flight (COF) guide concept. Now, when I look at a factory rod, I keep wondering why major rod manufacturers, such as St Croix, use the COF concept for their spinning rods (at least the rods I've seen). Anyone know why the major rod manufacturers still use the COF concept?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do major rod manufacturer's use COF guide concepts?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2016 09:43AM

You have to understand that most major commercial rod making operations are not on the cutting edge of rod performance. They build what the customers will buy and for many the COF is what they expect to see on a fishing rod. Sales, not performance, drives the commercial market, especially in the low to mid range market.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 09:44AM

It is what the average angler is used to seeing ..... anything else "looks funny"

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 09:48AM

We wonder the same thing Steve. The common answer is demand. COF is the way average consumers EXPECT a spinning rod to look. Rather than bite off the extremely expensive job of educating the entire fishing public, it's more expeditious to give them what they want. There are, however, more NGC rods and KR rods out there than ever before. Give it a chance, it's only been about 20 years since the NGC was introduced ;)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 11:38AM

The same thing is true with fly rod construction. Traditionally a number of guide sizes are used from stripper to tip, today it is found to be better to use far fewer sizes, getting down to the smallest quickly and thus reducing weight. However some buyers expect the rod to look like what they are used too, and reject the newer concept.

I build only fly rods and have fly fished for over 50 years, and I find no benefit either in casting or landing a fish with COF on a fly rod. This includes, shooting large amounts of line for long casts.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (107.77.85.---)
Date: March 23, 2016 01:50PM

I believe St. Croix is using something similar to the KR Concept with their new Legend Elite series of rods. Looks like they have the KR Torzite guides on them as well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 06:27PM

Steve,
Manufacturers still use COF guide arrangement is that this still works very well.

Yes, there are other guide setups that also work well or even better. But, it is up to an individual rod builder or manufacturer to build rods that suit and work for their clients.

Bottom line - there are many many fishermen who do not ever cast with their rods. They just use a rod to let out line and to reel line back in when they catch a fish. In that case, you just need guides on a rod to keep the line on the rod and to avoid breaking the rod when you land a fish.

Take for example many of the rods used for salt water fishing when fishing deep for some very big fish. Often, there is a heavy weight on the end of the line with a hook somewhere around the weight with bait on it. A rod is in a holder, and the line is dropped until it gets to the right depth or to the bottom. When a fish bites, the fish is reeled in. The rod is never taken out of the rod holder during the entire time. Many of these rods use 50 to 200 lb test line.

For some rods, one could use 10 size 3 guides and it would work. Another user could use 10 size 40 guides and it would work. Neither of these setups would be very good or optimized, but they would work to let out line and to catch fish.

Be safe

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 10:16AM

Yes, St Croix is the exception. They always have a few offerings that feature the latest guide train thinking. Other do as well.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2016 10:43AM

Could it also be that COF is more forgiving with the multitude of line types, and line sizes, as well as reel sizes?

I've seen some pretty off the wall line sizes and reel sizes used on rods that are clearly not meant for the line or the reel that is mounted on them. Makes me wonder how people can actually fish with them.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 11:06AM

Several years ago I have seen a guy using a Spinning Reel and rod as a Casting Rod with the spinning reel whole rod turned up ward
Just people that have no idea of rods and how to use them and with what reel line or for the fish they go after

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 04:52PM

Bill,
Your comment reminds me of a picture on the cover of a magazine which was a photo of the Sr. President bush fishing - holding a spinning rod and reel upside down, with the spinning reel on top of the rod.
It is too bad that the photographer did not suggest to the then president that the reel should be below the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2016 06:15PM

Worse, the President was said to be an avid fisherman...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster