I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB RBS power wrapper
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 08:44PM

Hello gents,

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a chance to toy with MudHole's RBS power wrapper? I'm looking at getting one since I have a lot of builds I plan here shortly. This hobby has gone further than I expected it to. I was looking at this because I don't have an unlimited budget. The main drawback I can see is the v stands rather than wheels and bearings. I doubt I would ever have to dry more than one rod at a time at the rate I currently pump out rods. But that's hand wrapping. I also like the tension system where you can back off a turn or two without having to hand hold the thread to keep tension. My hand wrapper does not have this feature.

I am also looking at the forecast model. It's a hundred dollars more but it may be worth it. One feature I like is that in addition to having the foot switch, it has a dial to control RPMs, which I may need as I learn his new method of wrapping.

I think one of my biggest complaints about hand wrapping is that the rod can slip left or right in the supports. Either of these systems will eliminate that issue. I've made some nice looking wraps, but one thing that is consistent is having to go back half a wrap now and then because the blank has shifted in the supports. In addition, I'm hoping my finish work can benefit from it. It seems easier (based on videos I've seen) to get a nice straight edge on the finish when spinning at 150 RPMs vs 9 RPMs or whatever my dryer is set to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 08:45PM by Randy Weakley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB RBS power wrapper
Posted by: Jason Franqui (---.pbso.org)
Date: March 22, 2016 01:52PM

I love mine!
I bought the power wrapper with the 8ft track. I bolted the track to my work bench and have had no problems with the system. I like how the wrapping systems rolls up and down the track and stand removal is simple. I have even turned Eva foam grips on it, For the price it works great.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 22, 2016 02:46PM

Probably not much help as I am building my own power wrapper, And I have choose MudHole's RBS hand wrapper as the base to build off of , Their RBS aluminum base is the only one out there with thread carriage tracks on both side's, Which was important to {me} as I have other thread carriages that I may also use. I have yet to receive it and my order says Pending so it has not shipped yet, So I cannot comment on the quality of construction as of now. I will be changing out the rod supports, And modifying the Alp's roller rod supports to fit the center track. I wish i would have started this 2 months ago though as my fishing season is just now starting here on lake St. Clair, And I have a big freezer to fill with spring walleye - perch, So I may not really get into building this until the summer heat hits us. Jaa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 02:47PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 22, 2016 02:53PM

Jason how is the aluminum track is it sturdy? Are the joints in the track tight? Thanks Jaa

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2016 04:26PM

Jay,
Out of curiosity, what state are you in; where you have a limit that allows you to fill a freezer with fish?

Here in MN, the daily limit and possesion limit is the same son one can not legally keep more than a single days limit of any fish in the freezer.

Be safe

Date: March 22, 2016 05:24PM

it is very sturdy and the joints are tight and flush.

Date: March 22, 2016 05:24PM

it is very sturdy and the joints are tight and flush.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2016 11:52PM

Just curious how you turn grips. I'm guessing just using a big enough fighting butt that none of the Eva went into the chuck? Or do you have a system with a mandrel that you engineered?

Seems like a good starter kit. How easy was it to get a hang of speed control with your foot?

Date: March 23, 2016 09:50AM

The speed took a little bit to get use to but I use my free hand to apply a little pressure on the rod while I am getting it going so it does not get away from me. As far as turning grips I use a scrap blank tightly fit the grips midway down. I then will either build a tape arbor to fit the chuck or use a scrap fighting butt and attach it to the end of the scrap blank to fit in the chuck. I will use the tape arbors on the end of the rod if the fighting butt I make or buy is too large and just install it at the end of the build.

Posted by: John Schulze (---.honeywell.com)
Date: March 23, 2016 10:04AM

In Georgia out regulation is this.

"It is unlawful to take in one day or to possess at any one time, except at a residence or commercial storage facility, more than the daily creel limit for each species."

You stay fishing for multiple days and keep limits each day with out having to go home to store fish. I do wonder how this effects camping. I will have to contact my DNR.

Date: March 23, 2016 06:14PM

Randy,
It is pretty simple to have a variable speed on the motor.

Having a variable speed, which this system does not have - is really limiting the things that a person can do well with a wrapper.

The system does work, but there are better ways to do it.

Be safe

Date: March 23, 2016 06:14PM

Randy,
It is pretty simple to have a variable speed on the motor.

Having a variable speed, which this system does not have - is really limiting the things that a person can do well with a wrapper.

The system does work, but there are better ways to do it.

Be safe

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2016 05:19PM

So if I do go to the Forecast, how important is an upgraded chuck?

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2016 07:02PM

Randy Weakley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So if I do go to the Forecast, how important is an
> upgraded chuck?

If you go to the forecast the upgrade is your call, but I have it on my choice of wrapper the American Tackle/Pac Bay and it is simply the very best chuck for the money you can put on a small wrapper. There is no comparison from it to the chuck they come with initially Well worth the extra $$

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2016 07:02PM

Randy Weakley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So if I do go to the Forecast, how important is an
> upgraded chuck?

If you go to the forecast the upgrade is your call, but I have it on my choice of wrapper the American Tackle/Pac Bay and it is simply the very best chuck for the money you can put on a small wrapper. There is no comparison from it to the chuck they come with initially Well worth the extra $$

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster