I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
fly rod shortening
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 12:26AM

I have a 12ft fly rod blank and would like to make it a 10ft rod. The query is how much would I have to cut off without significantly changing the action. Right now it is a 2/3wgt. Granted it would be better to remove the current butt section and go with a 9ft which is also possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod shortening
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2016 07:33AM

Any amount you cut off will change the action (it will become slower). Taking 2 feet off will significantly affect the original action.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 07:59AM

Yes - what Tom said.
Also - the butt section was designed to tolerate a certain level of stress. eliminating the butt section would be same as grabbing the blank above the grip to fight a fish. Which many times causes rod breakage at that point.

I assume you want to make a two-handed rod into a one-handed rod. Best to just get another blank designed to be a 10'0" rod.
Herb

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 10:07AM

I doing a similar build. I like to fish out of a kayak with a fly rod but conditions aren't always favorable for stand up casting so I'm building a short stick. Long Island Sound conditions can change with the tide and the current runs fast, so sometimes sitting is a must. I purchased a 2pcs 10# blank and plan on cutting off 14". I've tossed this idea around for a while but I'm expecting delivery of my blank today or tomorrow. Herb I know you build a lot of fly rods. Have you tried this?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 10:48AM

Why not just get a 9' blank The casting power is in the butt

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 21, 2016 10:53AM

Bill, if that response is directed at me then I left out that I'm starting with a 9' blank. Cutting down to 7'10". I'm using a 2 pcs so I hope I don't lose too much power. MH

Date: March 21, 2016 12:46PM

For anyone wanting to cut a fly blank They make so many sizes I can not see cutting one
Michael
You can mark that blank where you are thinking of cutting with tape Tape on some guides and test it Would be a sin to cut and build and find it is not what you want - Been there Even a shorter blank and extend it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 12:55PM

An adjustable-length telescoping fly rod blank would be the ideal solution and would save a lot of time and trouble.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 12:58PM

I have been a fly fisherman for almost 50 years and fished for most species and cannot for the life of me figure out the purpose of a 12ft 2/3wt fly rod! Is it used for dabbing?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 03:09PM

Just buy the correct length blank to begin with. Problem solved!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.38.---)
Date: March 21, 2016 03:41PM

Michael,
For a saltwater fly rod, your length, might look at a popping rod blank your length. Schneider's has some 2 piece IP 903F and IP 963F. Depending on how much power you want, they also have 4 power blanks.

Date: March 21, 2016 04:01PM

Spencer, I thought of that as well. I'm trying this first. I bought a matrix fly blank wholesale. I use the matrix blanks a lot so I'm familiar with the feel. I cut it an hour ago and mounted the grips and seat. Right now it feels good. I'm going to play around with guide placement and build. I didn't glue the butt on because I'm thinking I could slide a smaller diameter blank into butt section to give it more power... if needed. It's an experiment. If it doesn't work my 6 year old will have a practice rod.

Date: March 21, 2016 04:50PM

You could have saved the blank buy marking it ( no cutting ) then adding seat where you wanted and some guides and tested - O well
Let us know how it feels for you maybe your good to go

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 04:51PM by bill boettcher.

Date: March 21, 2016 04:50PM

Hi Michael,
You probably know by now that I distribute CTS blanks in the U.S.
CTS offers its fly rods starting at 7'6" in integrals of 6". They have a custom program starting at 5' and up in integrals of 3". So I just order the length that I want and know that it is the designed length.

I have ordered a lot of 8'9" blanks for use on Cape Cod for Stripers in #8 - #10. Just 3" causes the blank to be much more powerful - slower - but more powerful.

Using 9'0" as a benchmark - if you shorten the blank gets slower and more powerful Lengthening the blank gets faster and less powerful and more sensitive to component weight. I just received a 10'0" single handed Affinity-X (fast blank) blank and tied some Snake Brand #3 snakes and installed a small ring Snake Brand tip-top. The rod felt very sloppy. Went home and replaced all runners
withn REC Recoils #3 and a Recoil large ring tip-top (the old one with the aluminum tube). It felt great - like it was a different blank. Light and very responsive. I am building it for the Cape now. With the heavier components I would have given the blank away.

Bottom line - I would never cut a fly blank down - either from the butt or tip. If you want to lengthen a fly rod a moderate amount from the butt - that is O.K.

Herb

Date: March 21, 2016 05:19PM

How's about the 9ft option . Leave the original butt section off and go with that. I don't want to through the balance or the way the original 12ft rod was designed for.

Date: March 21, 2016 05:27PM

Robert,
The problem with that is that no fly rod is designed to tolerate the stress on the second section that the butt could bear. The butt is reinforced to put pressure on a fish and cast. The second section is not.
Is it a 2/3 wt fly rod you want to end up with??
If so - it will not be so if you just use sections 2,3 and
Herb

Date: March 21, 2016 05:46PM

Robert, I guess I kinda hijacked this post...my bad. Bill, I appreciate your feedback. I know I could've done a bunch of test casts and relocated the seat a few times. If it was for a customer I would have done a few things differently. I'm going for a particular length due to my casting position. It is an experiment and I don't look at it as a loss if I learn many things that improve my design and my future rods. I do appreciate your opinion. Thx. Herb, yes I do know you are a CTS distributor and their ability to custom build a blank for any application. My issue is knowing exactly what to get because they are $$$$. I appreciate your input and I will keep you in mind when I do figure out the best option. Spencer and I share another idea which is using a spinning blank. I'm open to all feedback. Thanks everyone. MH

Date: March 21, 2016 07:04PM

Feedback so far has been very educational. Based on what has been said I will build it up as it is and @#$%& it. I learned alot from all the posts. Thanks

Date: March 21, 2016 07:30PM

That site the people are just looking for CHEAP The Buy/ Sell page here may be a better option and of course the net

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 21, 2016 09:39PM

Robert,
Do you actually want a #2/3 rod - or just a light weight 9'0" rod that might be a little heavier - like a #5 or #6
Herb

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster