I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light Catfish Blank Selection Help
Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: March 17, 2016 10:35AM

All, I need some assistance selecting a blank to use for light river catfishing. I fish the Mississippi river for current break catfish which means anchoring or drifting with a floating style Lindy or santee cooper style rig. Very different than most folks idea of catfishing. Weights used are never over 3/4 oz and are typically 3/8-1/2oz. Bait includes crawlers, leeches or crawfish - no huge chunks of cut bait or large live baits. Most of the fish we catch are in the 3-10lb range. Mainline is usually 15-20lb braid.

My two oldest sons (9 and 10 years old) will be using these rods, they're both better at reacting to feeling the bite rather than seeing the bite, therefore a light weight and sensitive rod is a must. A 7' to 7' 6" blank would be idea. A soft tip is a must as finicky catfish will drop the bait if resistance is felt.

Is there anything that will provide the sensitivity, soft tip, and backbone needed for this application yet doesn't break the bank?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 10:37AM by Mat Peirce.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light Catfish Blank Selection Help
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2016 03:05PM

Perhaps one of the heavier popping blanks, such as a Batson IP845 or IP965?

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 17, 2016 03:30PM

For lighter in the hand weight and durability, Batson SP844 RX6 7' Popping.
Link; [www.schneidersrods.com]

A little heavier weight, but even more durable, Batson Downrigger, RDR70M 7' or RDR710M 7' 10"
Link; [www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-70-210-16.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2016 05:01PM

Get Bit Outdoors Liberty P764 in white color would probably work very well. I was handling them at the ICRBE. I bought the P703 for light cranks and jigs but if I had more $ I would of bought the 764 for heavier inshore fishing as well for channel cats around here. The white color would be easier to see in dim light conditions.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: March 19, 2016 07:10AM

I built three catfishing rods for my grandsons using rainshadow e-glass blanks. (spg-783). I have yet to get them out and field test though.
Steve

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: March 20, 2016 05:57PM

I don't know which pat of the river you fish but I live on the upper part and fish the Iowa/Wisconsin border. I think glass is the right way to go in either spin or baitcasting. Using the technique you describe we also pick up walleye and small mouth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster