I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo question
Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.gci.net)
Date: March 14, 2016 10:44PM

I am playing with a 'restoration' of a bamboo rod, just to have the chance to play with a bamboo rod. More a learn on the fly than an actual restoration. The question is, on the tip section, there is enough twist that the tip top and first guide at the ferrule appear to be twisted one flat side out of true. Do I move the guide over one flat to make it look good or attach it where it belongs? The rod will catch one fish when I am done and be retired to a wall.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo question
Posted by: Donald La Mar (74.120.64.---)
Date: March 15, 2016 10:07AM

Bruce

Learning on the fly with bamboo can work, but your odds are not so good.

Suggest you first invest in some homework by reading Michael Sinclair's Bamboo Restoration Handbook or another similar work.

My initial reaction to your question is two wrongs do not make a right. Maybe your old soldier ought be retired to a wall hanger as is, else properly repaired / restored.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2016 10:31AM

Do a google search on Building a bamboo rod It will tell you all that goes into untwisting

here is a good site to check out [www.canerods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 11:25AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: March 15, 2016 11:45AM

You have two choices here. Fix it right or hang it on the wall. Moving the guide over will only make things worse.
taking the twist out is fairly easy.
1. determine where the twist starts. i.e. is it just between a guide or is it longer.
2. you need to gently heat the entire area that is twisted. use a heat gun on low if you have one or a hair dryer. gently heat the areakeep the heat moving. do an initial heat then stop for about 30 seconds and heat again. this give the heat time to work into the cane, kind of like slow cook instead of a sear. if you can't touch the cane it's too hot. you want warm on "Hot"
3. twist the section in the direction you want. you will actualy feel the cane change when you heat it. it should be able to bend easily. if it's not stop and reheat.
4. after untwisting hold it in that position until it cools

you can work in smaller sections if need be.

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.gci.net)
Date: March 16, 2016 07:34PM

Donald, I hear the wisdom in your message. Bill, thanks for the link. Gary, I will go to work straightening with a hair drier.
The rod came to me with some parts removed, some parts missing and some initial varnish scraping already done. The poor old rod has nothing to lose by becoming a learning tool! Thank you all, BR

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 17, 2016 08:40AM

A 'little trick" - remove the guides where the twist is. Grab momma's steam iron & set it at a medium setting. Put the rod on a padded hard surface (a couple of folds of a pillow case over a hard surface will do. Run the steam iron over the cane until it is limber (NOT noodle-like). pull the padding out from under & use the hard surface to flatten the strips. Less chance of delaminating the glue & much less chance of searing ... Gary hit on the
particular step by steps ... just substituting the steam iron here.

Date: March 17, 2016 09:11AM

Yep the technique Ken offered works also. If you're really brave and feel lucky you can do it over the burner of your gas stove. Don't try it on your first outing.

Date: March 17, 2016 10:11AM

Bruce

If you can get a stand up heat gun This way you can put the rod over it warm it then twist it with out keeping shutting the gun on and off or laying it hot on some thing

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 17, 2016 09:57PM

Gary

When the strips are cut glued and then wrapped

Why can they not be twisted to keep them straight before the glue dries
I am thinking when they are wrapped this tends to twist the flats ( the pressure of the thread wrapping them ) and I wonder why they can not be looked at and ( untwisted ) before the glues dries
I have gotten several blanks and wonder WHY I HAVE TO HEAT AND FIX THEM ?
Have sent several back
What the heck after wrapped take a look This twist can not be seen and then fixed ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 20, 2016 12:34PM

Bill, much of the reason that the rod twists is because of the way it is made.
Let's compare a small one or two person shop putting out maybe 50 rods a year tops to one putting out 500 rods a week.
the small shop will take the time to make sure that the blank is striaight after glueing and binding. it's an easy 5 min process and yes it eliminates many problems later. It's a personal quality control.
now look at the large production shop. 500 rods X 5 min. each = 8+ hours. that's an entire day just straightneing. since the of shore production places want to get you that rod as fast and as cheap as possible this step is probably ignored.
and other reason for twist is how the cane is cut/split inthe first place. was it sawed or split? did it come from the same clum? was the moisture content of all the strips the same? It's kind of like going to the lumber yard for a 2x4 and looking thru the pile for a striaght one and asking yourself why most of them are twisted.

Date: March 20, 2016 02:48PM

Your right I just figured since I have not made a blank But figured it could be straightened after wrapping easier then letting it go and doing it later
I have had several made and did not like any One I sent back But it was like Gee What's wrong with it
Quality Control and some one that cares about there work

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Harry Boyd (64.239.217.---)
Date: March 23, 2016 10:26AM

I'm a little late to this discussion, but this may help you:

[www.youtube.com]

Harry

Harry Boyd

Date: March 23, 2016 12:06PM

Excellent video I learned a lot from his site and videos

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster