I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Opinions best rod blank for 1/4oz cranks
Posted by: Jason Gofron (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2016 09:16AM

Looking into a casting rod build for strictly 1/4oz cranks. I just built 2 bushido 78 1/4-3/4 blanks and their awesome but 1/4oz cranks are a bit much for this blank or i should say just slightly not enough. The bushido is awesome by the way and i highly recommend it.

So far ive been considering croixs 7'mm though i have no experience with this blank and some mlf spinning blanks. The only problem i have with the croix from the start is i do tend to like a 7'6 length for cranks or longer. Overall i need better castability and for the rod to load better but still handle the fish

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinions best rod blank for 1/4oz cranks
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 13, 2016 10:31AM

you can't go wrong with the St. Croix's. I have a couple of the MHX's and love how they feel and handle but for whatever reason, I cannot keep fish buttoned up on them. I built one of MHX CB843's as a small squarebill rod and somehow managed to loose about 3 of every 5 fish that I hook up with it.

I threw it to the bottom of the boat and picked up one of my Croix crankers and didn't loose a single fish after that. I have the Croix's in both the MM's and the MHM's. Yes both rods have the same reel and line and I removed the bait from the MHX and put it on the Croix and the result was no lost fish (very important in a tournament).

I don't know what I do that causes me to loose fish with the MHX but it happens EVERY time that I use it. That rod now sits in the rack collecting dust. I've even lent it to other guys in the club and all said that they lost a ton of fish with it. I did not tell them I was having that problem before lending it out to get their feedback.

No I am not anti MHX, I built a LOT of their blanks and really like their SB812 and carry it every time the boat goes out.

Another option for you might be to look at the Rainshadow's, I have a lot of success with them.

Tom

Date: March 13, 2016 10:58AM

Comes a point the blank has to lock up in power. I feel croix accomplishes that. Not sure about the mhx and i do like their blanks. I agree though i did have a factory rod in the past that was as you said. I feel the blank just never locked up and just wanted to keep giving.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2016 11:14AM

After a while lure weight, it's wind resistance, line used, reel used and how you have it set up all take their toll and rod length won't help any longer. Like Thomas I've had great luck with the St Croix blanks mentioned, another, in a longer blank., is the Seeker S glass SBS 756-S. In an earlier post in the Mud-hole and Angler's Workshop sites, it appears they have the blank description correct, but have the specs of the CBS composite blanks posted only, even though the Reaction series still appears to have both composite and S glass blanks in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2016 11:57AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 13, 2016 03:07PM

The Bushido CB 68 6-12 is a fine casting blank, not sure of your lock-up requirement. It is a true crankbait action, very close to the CCS numbers of the Loomis CB812 bronze (I believe that number is correct), a little faster, very sensitve, it has become my go to rod for small cranks and lipless cranks. I don't have trouble hooking or losing fish with it, best fish = 41 inch northern pike. It is not a blank where stopping fish in heavy cover is a priority.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 14, 2016 10:06AM

Jason,
I have built a bunch of those rated for that size crankbait for tourney and recreational anglers on a Mud Hole MHXCB843 Blend. I have had many positive comments. No lock up problems. Only problem I have had was getting anglers to slow down their forward casting stroke. they want to cast it like a fast action jig rod. Have to get them to slow down and hesitate, similar to a fly rod, when ending the back stroke and beginning forward stroke. Add that to your list of possibles.
Buzz

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 15, 2016 10:17AM

Jason,

We have had great feedback from builders using the the Liberty Reaction Bait Blanks and the Liberty Popping Blanks for crank baits. The Reaction Bait models are built using E-Glass and rolled on a mandrel that gives the blank a classic moderate action enabling the crank to dance and track true without fighting the resistance of the blank. Watch the bait during the retrieve and you'll see the difference.

The Popping blanks are built using intermediate graphite and designed with a moderate fast action. The soft tip lets the crankbait dig and dive but shuts off quicker than a traditional glass crankbait rod. Guys who are fishing structure are jumping all over these blanks because they have power to rip cranks through cover but still have a forgiving tip to keep fish buttoned.

P703 and P704 are my go to for graphite cranking P705 when ripping cranks through cover

The GRB703 is my go to in glass cranking.

[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Both are very affordable and actions are very different, feel free to give us a call, I am happy to explain them and answer any questions.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: March 15, 2016 06:58PM

Thanks im loving my liberty 764.

Posted by: Will Cooper (---.parexel.com)
Date: March 17, 2016 07:35AM

I second the Liberty blanks, i have a rod I just cant put down built on the P703-USA. Check them out for sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster