I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip trouble
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lns2.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 13, 2016 01:09AM

I just had an interesting issue gluing a tip on.
It was one of Fuji's new Arowana tips and the hole at the eye end was somehow blocked so when I popped the tip on the air pressure kept popping it back off. Not the first time I've had this but this build was a spiral wrap. In the past I've put a reel on an use the line to pull the tip on in place and lined up.
You can't really do that with a spiral wrap. Since the glue was already mixed and in the tip I didn't have any time to think so put the rod in an angled holder with line going through the tip back to two separate large sinkers on each end. I then tensioned them back to keep the tip on and lined up.
It worked but had me wondering if anybody else has had this issue and what do they do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip trouble
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2016 01:18AM

Mark,
Your comment about the spiral wrap surprised me that the tension to the reel did not work.

All of the spiral built rods that I have seen and built get the line to the bottom of the rod in the first 1/2 of the rod. The upper 1/2 of the rod should have all of the guides lined up straight, and the tip should be in alignment with those running guides. Then, just pull the line back to the butt end of the rod and fasten it on the underside of the reel seat and you should have a straight pull.

Be safe

Date: March 13, 2016 03:26AM

Roger no guides are on yet.
I usually glue my tip on first then do the guides. It helps me line the guides up with the tip.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2016 08:21AM

I would have expected any trapped air to escape from the butt end of the blank. Did you already have the butt cap on?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 13, 2016 08:33AM

I find turning while putting on some times helps the air escape

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 13, 2016 08:43AM

Yes Tom it was.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2016 10:31AM

I generally install the but cap last, but if it's already on when you install the tiptop, it's easy enough to drill or punch a tiny hole in the end of the cap.

There is also some wisdom that says that having that hole there keeps changes in interior air pressure due to heat changes, from eventually popping the tiptop off the rod under certain situations.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 13, 2016 04:05PM

Just installed a Fuji TFST on a rod which had the butt completed, so no vent. The TFST evidently has a little hole at the front, as it vented adhesive there.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (1.132.96.---)
Date: March 14, 2016 04:09AM

They usually have a hole for this. This guide does too but it must have been blocked. It's a very small guide so wouldn't take much. You wouldn't think too much about how painful it could be until it happens!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster