I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR GPS page
Posted by: John Shear (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 07:55PM

Jim Ising,
When I use the KR GPS page how can I print the guide selection and spacing info to the printer? I tried a simple File->Print in my browser but it doesn't show all the interesting stuff on the page. Or would that be unique to my Firefox browser?
If I enter mm instead of inches does it still give me the proper results?

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2016 07:56PM by John Shear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR GPS page
Posted by: Larry Majkrzak (192.175.17.---)
Date: March 12, 2016 02:29PM

Hello John,

I think I can help with the printing issue. First off, I always use google chrome because it is ALWAYS the most updated web browser. Personal preference there but a helpful tid bit for trouble shooting because you know it is always functional.

Option 1:
scroll down on the screen so you are viewing all the information you want to print. if its more than one screen of info just do this twice. Hit the "print screen" button. Open up the program paint. (it is a free program located on any PC, sometimes found in the accessories file.)

Once open, inside the white screen hit the crtl button + v and it will copy what you print screened. Like I said if its more than one screen just do this as many times as it takes for more than one screen. Then just go to file and print.

Option 2: Right click your mouse and drag it across ever thing you want to print. It will highlight everything blue. Then go to print while its still highlighted. Under print there should be an option to print selected text. This should work as well printing only the stuff you highlighted. Hope this works!

Posted by: John Shear (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 12, 2016 05:09PM

Hi Larry. I did the equivalent thing on my Mac, but was looking for a print button like the older GPS tool has.
The results indicate I need to use 4 runners to cover 29 3/8" between choker and tip. I will have to do a static load test but I expect I'll need on more runner especially with the light tip on this 3S68MXF.
Another question for Jim:
Why does it need total rod length and distance from butt to spool axle? Could it get by with just the spool axle to tip length?

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 14, 2016 10:19AM

To compute runners needed the app needs to know "working length". It totals handle length and reduction train length then subtracts from blank length to estimate runners needed.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: March 15, 2016 12:50PM

Jim, I'm curious what does it assume for spacing between runners when calculating how many runners?

Wouldn't "blank_length - (handle_length + reduction_length)" be the same as
"spool_axle_to_tip_length - reduction_length" ??

I think I'm misunderstanding something about why it needs the handle length info.
In my case, the blank is 6'8" and I will add an 8" wood handle that is drilled out 4" so it will add 4" to the overall length of the rod. So when it says enter the distance from rod butt to spool axle, I assume it means the butt end of the blank, not the end of the handle.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 17, 2016 10:04AM

Assumed spacing is, if I remember correctly around 4.5 inches. It will err on the side of an extra guide rather than not enough. John the app is looking for how much blank is beyond the spool axle so I think you would want total length including handle minus butt to spool axle tip.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: March 17, 2016 01:57PM

Ok, Thanks for the info Jim. The KR GPS layout indicated 4 runners to cover a distance of 29" which seemed extreme so I'm adding another.
Btw, it would be nice if we could use mm in the KR GPS tool.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2016 10:56AM

I used the KR GPS to lay out the guide train for two spinning rods that I built. The rods perform far beyond my expectations, but I did find it odd that GPS doesn't ask about rod power or its action. It sure seems to me that those two things have quite a bearing on the number and spacing of running guides.

Just wondering why doesn't the KR GPS question them?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster