I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR using K.I.S.S.
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 11:22AM

It dawned on me the other day that I have reached the point where a KR Concept rod is a "no brainer" . And, certain short cuts have emerged from trial and error that make the entire build pretty simple. I started messing around with a build sheet and then realized maybe other builders would be interested in how a really well laid out KR Rod would look on paper. I've used this layout MANY times and it seems to be spot on for the blank range indicated. It's the "whole enchilada" including our WINN Grips, Perfect Fit hardware and Titanium TORZITE® guides. I really don't think you can find a better combination of components anywhere, but there are ways to make it less expensive if you want to experiment a little (i.e. Stainless ALCONITE® instead of TORZITE will save you $100 right off the bat). Anyway, I hope this helps someone. Blank power and action should not effect the reduction train on any rods in this range so this build is good for anything from walleye to bass to redfish. I've also uploaded a printable build sheet in the photo section and provided a link at the end of the post. Give me some feedback so I will know whether to continue doing these or not.

Blank: Any POINT Blank 6’6” - 7’3” (or any comparable blank or "budget" blank)
Line: Up to 20 pound braid or 14 lb mono or fluorocarbon
Reel: any 2000-3000 series spinning reel:

GRIPS
1ea - WCAP - Butt Cap
1ea - WB237 - WINN/AR Butt Grip, choose the 237 short (2.375“) or 425 long (4.25”)
1ea - WKSK2 - WINN/AR rear grip for new TVS17 seat
1ea - WTC17 - WINN/AR foregrip for TVS17 with Thread Cover Back Stop™

SEAT
1ea - TVSTJK17 - size 17 TVS seat with thread cover hood sleeve and BACK STOP™ lock nut system

PERFECT FIT™ HARDWARE (Double Stripe)
1ea - BT29DR - Butt Grip Trim Ring
2ea - WCH14D- Winding check, measure diameter of blank and order proper size 11mm thru 15.5mm
1ea - RST19D - Trim Ring between rear grip and seat
1ea - CSTVS17 - carbon tube insert for TVS17 reel seat
1ea - CREVD - Cap ring for WINN/AR foregrip (choose 12, 14, or 16 mm ID depending on blank diameter, ex: CREVD14 or CREVD16)

Each trim part above needs the color designation added to the end of the stock number:
R = Red/Black; G = Gold/Black; S = Silver/Black; B = Blue/Silver

GUIDE TRAIN (TITANIUM TORZITE®)
1ea - TKLTG20H - Stripper
1ea - TKLTG10H - Second Reducer
1ea - TKLTG5.5M - Third Reducer
2ea - TKBTG5 - Choke and Second Runner
3ea - TKTTG5 - Runners
1ea - TKGTG5(?) - top; ?- tube size requires diameter of blank at tip.

• Stripper should fall between 19 and 22 inches from the tip of the spool axle.
• Choke point will fall approximately the same distance beyond stripper (i.e. : If stripper is at 19 inches beyond tip of spool axle, place choke 19 inches beyond stripper etc.)
• Bullseye remaining size 10 and 5.5 reduction guide between stripper and choke guide.
• Static load runners to top.

TAPE AND TEST

Approximate cost of above materials with no blank: $180
By substituting Stainless ALCONITE Guides (KLAG20H etc), saving are approximately $100
Total ULTIMATE Rod with POINT Blank and TORZITE: approx. $350 (based on 7’3” POINT Blank)

PRINTABLE JPG: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR using K.I.S.S.
Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2016 08:57AM

love it
can you do one next weight up for inshore salt approx 15 mono up to 30 braid ?

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster