I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metal winding check installation.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2016 09:25PM

Metal winding checks can add a particular look to a rod build. But, to be sure that the fit is not too tight, there is a tendency to have a slight bit of play around the check for rod life.
Sometimes, installing such a winding check can present a bit of a problem.

I ran across this issue the other night, installing 3 metal checks for a split grip build.

To ease the issue, I selected a nice set of tight fitting vinyl winding check and installed them to be used as an installation clamp - during the installation of the metal checks.

As each grip or reel seat was installed, the 5 minute epoxy that was used to glue up the piece was also used to glue the metal winding check in place. Then, the vinyl winding check was used to clamp and hold the metal check in place, until the glue cured.

Then, the vinyl check was pulled back from the metal winding check and snipped off with a set of cutters. With a split grip, there are two winding checks on the butt section of the rod that are captured by the rear and butt grip on the rod. But, the vinyl checks can be slid back from the butt cap and from the rear grip and snipped with no issue.

Be safe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metal winding check installation.
Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2016 10:07PM

Good idea. I've been using a wrap of thread to snug up the fit then trim it off to not show.

Posted by: Tony C Robinson (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2016 11:28PM

How much do you upsize your metal checks from the actual blank diameter?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 11:18AM

Tony,
A touch !

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 11:21AM

0.5 If you can Some of the large ones you may have to go a full size Putting a small thread wrap then it over will take some of the room away depending on A or D size thread

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 09:30PM

Most of the metal winding checks, when 3 are used on a split grip rod, make the rod look like an erector set. Try just using a black vinyl check and cover it with wrapping epoxy to form a nice, curved, filet over the check and you'll have a much cleaner, elegant, appearance. If you are using carbon fiber grips and butt knobs you can form them so that no check is needed making a very smooth, clean, look. Seems like we've gone ape with all the gaudy jewelry and the rods are looking cheaper and cheaper. I know, different strokes. I've described mine.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2016 10:47AM

"Beauty is in the eye of the Beer holder"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster