I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Rod builder - Senko Rod - Long Read
Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 15, 2016 07:44AM

Larry Majkrzak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "FACT: The closer you can keep types of materials
> in your build, the more sensitivity you will
> retain and feel what you retain. (Carbon graphite
> blanks, Carbon graphite grips, Carbon graphite
> seats)"
>
> Would this apply to the fighting butt as well? Or
> just the places of holding and touching the rod?
> The reason I asked is because I usually use EVA
> for the fighting butt just because it's very
> durable and I just like the way it looks. Also
> its about $10 cheaper than a carbon fiber butt.
> Maybe be a strange question but I want to make
> sure I am not missing anything.
>
> thanks,
> Larry

I might be speaking out of turn here but *I think* any time you add a material to the blank that will dampen vibration, that will alter the overall ability of the blank to transmit vibration, decreasing sensitivity. I don't know how much of a difference a small piece of EVA will make at the very end of the blank though, I hope Steve can chime in on that.

I can't wait to see your build! I do have a question about the guides though: Once you go with a size 6 stripper guide, could you not go straight to the runners, either 3's, 4's or 5's? Or is that transition too big a step down in overall size and guide height being so close to the reel?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Larry Majkrzak (199.76.101.---)
Date: March 15, 2016 11:21AM

I personally feel more comfortable with a slow step down in size transition. Others with more experience I'm sure will have more insight. Because the guides are already so small I'm not sure the difference is so dramatic but it's what I am comfortable with.

Also I went with the carbon butt to be safe :)

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2016 04:43PM

It has been my experience that you will get a further casting distance stepping down in guide size,

Yes anything you add to a blank dampens vibration and the more dissimilar the materials the greater the dampening.

Try this experiment: take a blank and hold it vertically about mid point suspended in air. Place a little piece of tape or pencil mark where you are holding.
Then with the other hand- thump it! (like you used to do to your friends on the top of the head when being mean)

pay attention to:
1. what you feel through the fingers of your hand holding blank.
2. strength of vibration
3. duration of vibration (how long you can feel them)
4. pitch or tone of vibration (what you hear)

Now add a piece of cork or EVA to the butt section of the blank. (About same amount you would use for a grip or split grip)
and hold in exact same place as before (reason for tape or pencil mark

Repeat the experiment . (can also repeat with each of the materials for a more thorough understanding)
Then do me a favor and post your results if any differences in what you feel, and what they are.

And let us know if either of those two materials effect sensitivity when applied to the butt.

Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 15, 2016 05:24PM

Thanks for the clarification Steve, sounds like Larry's gut instinct of the step down is bang on. I'm happy to know that I understood what you said about the dissimilar materials. Thanks!

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2016 07:37PM

Where can i read more and how to use these carbon grips? I cant get the howto links to work on rileys site

Posted by: Larry Majkrzak (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2016 10:57PM

Go to You Tube and search carbon fiber rod grips. They did a seminar about an hour and ten minutes long. Pretty informative stuff! Also Rod Builder Magazine wrote the article about it. Volume 10, issue 6 i think? Personally, I am going to buy some pre formed grips first, build with them, and fish with them. Then if I see a big improvement over cork and see a need for a lot more rod materials in my future, I'll cough up the dough to buy the molds, epoxy, and lathe. :) May your rods be bent and your lines be tight.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster