I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Catfish rod blank
Posted by: Lee Bossley (---.nstci.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 12:05PM

I'am looking for a blank the same or close to ST Croix MOJO Catfish Rod. This rod is glass and graphite. Looking for 7' MHF 15-40 # line. Can anyone Help.Talked to St Croix the don't have just that blank.

Thanks, Lee Bossley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Catfish rod blank
Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 12:15PM

The Rainshadow RCLB70ML and the SWB70M and MH have been very popular for catfish builds. Nice soft tips with plenty of backbone. We have them in stock and are happy to flex them while on the phone to explain the specific actions/powers, feel free to call any time.

[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: March 09, 2016 12:20PM

OK thanks get bit. will go online or call

Thanks again Lee

Posted by: Chris Rhodes (---.stabcmtk01.com.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 02:25PM

In addition to the above suggestions (Which are good choices for what you're wanting. Ive used them before) you might also check out Rod Geeks SG711XHMF. They are a little longer than 7', but you can easily cut it down. And by adjusting the amount that gets cut off the tip vs the butt, you can really fine tune in that action to what you/the customer want. I've really been impressed with that blank overall. Plus the color options are nice as a lot of the cat customers want white or other bright colors.

Date: March 09, 2016 03:35PM

Ok Thanks I'll look at

Thanks Lee

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2016 06:03PM

I am building a catfish/ saltwater pier rod on a Rod Geeks X Comp 733 17-30lb blank neon green. It does not have as soft of a tip as the fiberglass series but the power still kicks in pretty fast that I think will work great with circle hooks but some fisherman will prefer the softer tip.Their boat rod series are composites and might fit the bill as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 08:39PM by David Miller.

Date: March 11, 2016 07:32AM

I look at that rod I think it's close enough to work. This rods for my son will see what he thinks. Thanks for the info. everybody has given me go ideas now up to my son to deside.

Thanks again
Lee

Date: March 11, 2016 07:35AM

David if you don't mind me asking what guides are you goin with on that rod?

Date: March 13, 2016 11:00AM

Hey Lee,

Sorry it took awhile to respond back to you. I would email Rod Geeks because they might know which blank is used for the St Croix Mojo Catfish or one that is very similar, The confusing part is the lure weight recommendation of the Mojo 2-8 oz which is very broad for 7 ft rod to cast, but seems the norm with catfish rod specs as I have seen rods labeled 1-10. It is tough to know if they meant over head casting that weight or gentle lobbing it off the boat which is completely different.

For my XC733 I am planning on using Alps MXN that I have. If you go with a more powerful 40lb blank I would go with the stronger frame XN guides. American Tackle Virtus Lite guides are very nice as well.

Posted by: Chris Rhodes (---.stabcmtk01.com.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 14, 2016 08:01AM

I personally use PacBay XBB guides on almost all of my catfish builds. They're really hard to destroy, which I feel is needed because cat guys are usually stupidly tough on their gear.

David, I'm also building a couple X-Comp blanks to try out this year. I have a #1 and a #2 power instead of the #3 like yours though. Very interesting blanks. I'm excited to see how they perform.

Date: March 14, 2016 10:56PM

Chris Rhodes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personally use PacBay XBB guides on almost all
> of my catfish builds. They're really hard to
> destroy, which I feel is needed because cat guys
> are usually stupidly tough on their gear.
>
> David, I'm also building a couple X-Comp blanks to
> try out this year. I have a #1 and a #2 power
> instead of the #3 like yours though. Very
> interesting blanks. I'm excited to see how they
> perform.

Chris, I picked up the 3 power for a heck of a deal at the ICRBE last month. Kicking myself for not buying a #2 prototype they had which is similar to the #1 in production. It felt like it would be versatile for channel cats,big spoons and heavy duty popping for drum in the sounds. With limited space and funds I am always looking for rods that can have multi uses.Hopefully I can pick up one at next year's expo along with a SG 711. Let me know how you like your XCs.

Another tough guide from Pac Bay I saw at the expo was their new DP rugged chrome ring. Looks like a minima on steroids.

Posted by: Lee Bossley (---.warpspeed1.net)
Date: April 29, 2016 07:56AM

Thanks for all the info. Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but my son never made up his mind so I droped it. I'am going to check ya'lls ideas out today and builded him one anyway he'll like whatever I build for him.

Thanks again
Great web site

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: April 29, 2016 09:00AM

Yes sir!! He will love whatever you build him.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster