I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread finish and denatured alcohol question
Posted by: Jason Duong (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 08, 2016 11:57PM

If thread finish has cured and I clean it with DA will it affect the finish?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread finish and denatured alcohol question
Posted by: Michael Shea (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: March 09, 2016 01:34AM

Nope, not in my experience, provided its fully cured.

Posted by: Lindsay PELLETIER (---.236.147.77.rev.sfr.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 02:34AM

Hello,

By cleaning a clear coating with a chemical (alcohol or other), you can reduce the gloss (flatten) of the epoxy or blank coating.

If you really want to cleaning it with alcohol, you must be very gentle and use a soft cloth.

Good luck.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2016 07:13AM

What's on it that you need to clean off? A furniture wax type product might be your better bet.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 09, 2016 07:33AM

Jason for any rod clean up consider using Iso alcohol (90%). I have had denatured take the finish and gloss coat off some very expensive blanks in the past. I understand you are going to clean guide wraps/finish but I would think you would have to get the denature on the blank also.

Buzz

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 08:38AM

Jason,
Just keep chemicals like DNA away from rods after they have been built.

If you want to clean the rod, use windex, or another mild spray on cleaner. It works very well and is not likely to affect any of the finish's on the rod blanks.

If you happen to have gotten some dust or similar on a thread wrap after the rod has been finished, just use some low tack blue masking tape to tack off the dust and the rod will be good to go.

Good luck

Posted by: John DeMartini (12.54.94.---)
Date: March 09, 2016 10:30AM

Jason

I clean my rods with 409 or Fantastic (very soft brush and rag) , and I follow it with Johnsons paste wax or equivalent.

John

Posted by: Jason Duong (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 11:50AM

Thanks everyone. I'm putting together a rod with cfx carbon handles and was going to coat them with thread finish before gluing it to the blank. I'm sure I'll get a little epoxy on the handle and wanted to see if cleaning it with DA was a bad idea.

Date: March 09, 2016 04:07PM

Jason,
Any reason not to apply rod finish to the handle at the same time that you put finish on your wraps?

Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: March 09, 2016 04:40PM

IMO, its better to ream out the handles after coating to prevent the foam core dust from getting into the fibers of the carbon fiber.

Date: March 09, 2016 07:44PM

Roger,
Makes perfect sense.

I would expect that if you use alcohol to clean up your epoxy on the grip will likely be fine as long as it is only a little and you don't let it sit on the grip at all.

Good luck

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (50.153.118.---)
Date: March 09, 2016 08:42PM

A Rod Manuf. Recommended Simple Green Worked Well

Posted by: Jason Duong (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 11:53PM

I can glue it on before putting finish on it. Was still worried if I get some epoxy on the grips from the butt cap or reel seat I could clean it with something.

Date: March 10, 2016 11:11AM

Jason,
Minimize the use of alcohol and clean up any over running epoxy as needed.

Then, go ahead and finish the rod.

Finally when coating the guide wraps, if there are any issues with the finish on the grip, just apply an additional coat to clean up the grip if necessary.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 10, 2016 12:00PM

As far as finishing the cfx grips I prefer an over coat with permagloss rather than thread finish epoxy. It is easier to apply with fewer issues,, dries quickly, not as glossy, very hard and durable with a great feel. In addition, it is more resistant to alcohol. But that is my opinion, some like the glossy look of an epoxy finish. These are some of the things that make a rod a custom rod.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster