I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Standup Rod Build - Any advice?
Posted by: Andrew Trostle (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 09:52PM

So I'm getting ready to undertake my first Standup rod build and thought I'd tap into the knowledge of this board. I'm looking to pair the rod with an Avet 50EXW for yellowfin, bluefin, Sharks, and mahi in the Atlantic off of Maryland. We fish wind on leaders with windon swivels so I'm planning to use all rollers. Up until this point I've only built light weight jigging & topwater rods for fishing in the bay, but thought I'd expand my addiction into the Bluewater. Anyways, here is what I'm thinking:

Blank: Calstar 6455 XL
Guides: All roller Alps 50lb.
Wraps: 1 under 2 over (or should I do 2&2 or 1&3?)
Butt: #2 Unibutt (Brand...something cheap...Alps, Stuart, etc. )
Grips: ??

I'd like to wind up around 6'0 overall in length to be able to maneuver around my outboards when needed. Would the Alps guide kits be sufficient or have any Guide size & number of guide recommendations? Also, thoughts on Tip Top size?

Finally, any recommendations for unibutts? I'm trying to build a rod, and eventually a set, I'll keep for a long time. However, that said I'd like to do so as economical as possible. So any recommendations on parts, suppliers, or other ways to keep the cost down would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and insight!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 09:54PM by Andrew Trostle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Standup Rod Build - Any advice?
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2016 11:53PM

MY first thought was Email Karry Batson, Fountain of Knowledge there!

Posted by: Andrew Trostle (---.sub-70-197-129.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2016 11:41AM

Thanks Barry. I'll have to reach out to Karry!

Anyone else with any insight???

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2016 06:02PM

Hey Andrew,

First thing I would do is make SURE the unibutt or reel seat you are using will fit the Avet reel. (ask me how I know)
The outside diameter of the butt/seat will determine if the reel will fit into the hoods correctly while still allowing using the rod clamp. (if that is your preference)
I use Aftco unibutts, reel seats and guides on all offshore builds exclusively. (just my preference).

A size 2 Aftco unibutt is a 30 - 50 lb rated butt.
The Calstar 6455XH is rated at 50 - 100 lbs. so you may want to jump to a size 4 unibutt. (80 lb. class) .
Not sure Calstar makes a model 6455XL.
I'm of the opinion that hypalon is the way to go for heavy rod grips.
Holds up well if you need to use the rail as an assist.
X flock over the hypo is an added cushion and wear barrier.

good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster