I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sizing guides
Posted by: Matt Wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 08:09PM

I am a beginner to rod building! My 10 year old and I have built one ultra light and have a 9' crappie rod to get started on. My question is how do I know how to size guides. I called mudhole for the nine foot but I'd like to know how to know myself! I am mostly going to build panfish and bass rods. Thanks in advance for any help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sizing guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2016 08:27PM

Check the online library page here on this site. It has several articles on guide sizing and placement.

Date: March 05, 2016 08:40PM

Any one specifically? I looked some last night and really didn't read anything that explained sizing guides.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 09:22PM

Matt

You did not say whether you are building spinning or casting rods, but the "New Guide Concept - Spinning Rods" article in the online library explains exactly the guide sizing and spacing info you are looking for. I use this method for all of my spinning rod builds and it works very well for me.

Rog

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 11:32PM

Matt,
On a light action spinning rod, I would go with a size 20,16, 10, and 6 runners to the 6 tip. I assume that you will be using 4-6 lb mono? Depending on the size of the reel, you might want to use a taller size 20 to better match the height of the reel.

With a 9 foot rod, I would go with about 10 guides total, depending on how fast the action is on the rod. If the rod has an extra fast action, you will be needing to have the first two or three guides about 3 inches apart. But, if you have a slower action rod, you can space the guides out to 4, 4 1/2 or 5 inches depending on the speed of the blank. You want the line to follow the contour of the loaded blank. With the guides taped in place, I just press the tip of the rod against a carpeted floor and flex the rod. As the rod is flexed, I visualize the flow of the line and ensure myself that the guides are spaced just right to have the line follow the contour of the blank without having excessive guides. If a couple of guides are too far apart, so that the line will not be following the flow of the loaded blank, then you will want to bring the guides closer together and possibly add an additional guides.

Be safe

Date: March 06, 2016 10:32AM

Thanks! Not sure how I missed that document! I will read it and start learning!

Matt

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 01:01PM

here is a little more for you on Static Loading spacing the guides
[anglersresource.net]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: March 06, 2016 09:22PM

Get a set of Microwave guides and follow the placement guide provided with them. On the longer rods, extra guides are available, and a suggested guide spacing is provided with the set. They work wonderfully.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2016 09:50AM

You asked how you can learn which guide size to use and you got suggested layouts. Those layouts were done by builders who understand what you want to understand and don't do much to bring you to a point where you can "do it yourself".

It's a rather extensive subject, but start by realizing that the manufacturers have already worried about ring size at a given height. Concentrate your efforts on the height you need in a layout and ring size will pretty much take care of itself, usually within one size.

Your goal is to have the line come off the spool and have a smooth trip down to the blank, which becomes your choke point. Choose guides of the right height to smoothly manage and control the line down to the blank and make sure your choices carry the line in a straight path with no ups or downs on the way. If you are using heavy, stiff line choose the larger of the two guides that will work as a stripper. Your stripper will generally fall between 19 and 26 inches from the front of the reel spool, again depending on the HEIGHT of the guide.

What I've described above are many of the ideas embodied in the New Guide Concept. Search and read.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster