I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Moving/rod room questions!
Posted by: Miles Miller (172.58.137.---)
Date: March 05, 2016 04:06PM

I'm moving the next few days and have the green light from the landlord to paint the basement walls (which is my rod room). I know I should do a bright color, but that's it past that point. The basement is unfinished, and as a subcontractor I do work for the guy, so I can "get away" with more than what regular tenants could.

So I'm wondering what color/sheen for the walls, and what other things should I look to do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Moving/rod room questions!
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 04:55PM

Miles,
Only one color to paint a rod room. Floor, walls and ceiling --- all bright white.

Bright white reflects light. The paint will make any of the lights in the room, even brighter and give you better illumination.

With a white floor - it will be easy to see dropped micro guides. It will also give you the opportunity to wash the floor every evening in order to keep the white floor clean.

But, if all possible, insulate and sheathe the walls with sheetrock, before painting.

Good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 05:35PM

Along with what Roger has said I would suggest insulation to keep the place warm in cold weather some electrical work with plugs all over You will probably need them Do it right and once

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 05, 2016 06:15PM

I realize that you are a renter, but perhaps if you agree to do the work right, the landlord will buy the materials and reduce your rental for your work labor.

Be safe

Date: March 05, 2016 07:22PM

Roger brings up a good point
Being a RENTER and you don't own the place
Check it out and see if It is warm for the winter weather -- Does it have enough plugs for you

Sellers are nice but not that nice Be careful and try to do with what you have White walls are a sure good choose in color

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Miles Miller (172.58.137.---)
Date: March 05, 2016 08:57PM

Is there a certain "white" color or just the brightest I can get?

The white floors are a great idea.

The basement has a vent, but just one which isn't enough. So with insulation being mentioned, what exactly does that mean? The only barrier right now is concrete foundation, and there ARE small windows near the top of the walls.

I refinish/install/repair Harwood floors as a subcontractor, and I have done enough work for the landlord that he said I can fix anything to improve and he will reimburse me accordingly.

The basement is in "4" sections, laundry area, what will be a woodworking area, rod room, and area going to the upstairs. I plan on walling off rod room to some degree so sawdust ect. will not effect my products. This is a step I have not taken as my laundry room was where I did woodworking and rod building. Since the process of moving has begun...... I've had to do a lot of dusting.....

Date: March 05, 2016 11:37PM

Miles,
The optimum thing to do, is to build a stud wall that is placed next to the concrete wall, nailed to the floor and to the ceiling joists. Then, put insulation between the studs, and wire up the basement by drilling holes through the studs and stringing wire as needed. Wire the circuits into the breaker panel and add outlets as needed.

Place a plastic vapor barrier over the studs, and then hang and finish sheet rock with tape, spatula, sanding and painting. A coat or two of primer and then a couple of coats of bright white paint.

When you do the stud walls, you can also build the stud walled room for the rod building at the same time. Then, wire every thing, then sheet rock and finish everything.

Good luck

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (108.57.121.---)
Date: March 06, 2016 10:25AM

Lots of good advice here. I just moved and am in the process of building my rod room as well. I've been blessed with a basement that's over 1000 square feet. I'm currently planning on a 13'x16' rod building room which is almost twice the size of my old one. It will be insulated on all 4 walls, have plenty of outlets and lights, and be painted white. I am not using drywall though. I will be using 1/2" plywood for my walls so that I can hang/attach anywhere I want without the hassle of having to use studs or drywall anchors.

jeremy

Date: March 06, 2016 12:49PM

I would suggest a Dust or dirty room where you have a window to put an exhaust fan in for all you sanding and lath work

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster