I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Reel Seat
Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 12:48PM

Hey everyone,

I'm getting ready to build a rod for my girlfriend. It's a RG C2MF66. 6'6" Spinning. Butt diameter is .503. I was planning on ordering now since the free shipping promotion runs out Saturday. The issue is the size 18 reel seats are backordered. She has fairly small hands. Can I get away with a size 17 reel seat on this build or should I opt for the size 20. I'd like to order it from RG with the blank so I can get over the minimum needed for free shipping and then she'll have the "Pretty" reel seat to match the "pretty" rod. Any recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Reel Seat
Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: March 03, 2016 02:10PM

The 17 will be fine. I have used 16 Aero seats on that blank in the past.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2016 02:18PM

Even with small hands she may prefer the size 20. Most seats are far too small for the average human hand as it is. Perhaps try letting her hold a couple wooden dowels in the approximate sizes and let her determine which one feels best to her.

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 02:47PM

Thank you Chris and Tom. I'll try that out.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 05:26PM

Anthony,
Actually for your friend, if she has typical hands, I would build the rod with a size 16 reel seat.

Be safe.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 05:29PM

If you are talking about Aero seats you will get a different answer than if you are talking about regular straight seats. You looking at Aero seats?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 05:45PM

I have very large hands and prefer smaller reel seats. Rarely go above a size 17 for my personal rods. I tend to use the smallest reel seat that will fit the blank, less bushing needed and thus more sensitive in my opinion. Different strokes for different folks. That's what makes a rod custom.
Norm

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 05:24AM

I have large hands and use size 17 on all my bass and pike rods. Size 16 on panfish rods.
DG

Posted by: Nicholas Huang (---.dynamic.hinet.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 07:42AM

Unless your gf is an avid fisho I dont think it matters. If she isnt just let her use a size 16.

Give you an example. I let my gf try my twinpower and my sienna. She cant tell the difference. So she uses the sienna.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 03:26PM

My wife has small hands and she absolutely does not want to work with a rod that has a reel seat larger than a size 16.
How many times has she told me this??

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2016 03:56PM

Just as an aside and something to consider - all of the bio-mechanical and ergonomics studies ever done, particularly those by the military during the late 1940's and into the 1950's, indicate that nearly all handles, for tools, etc., are much too small in diameter.

The smaller diameter the reel seat is, the more effort is required by the human hand to hold it or to apply or resist force through it. Sometimes it is helpful to not only have a person hold a reel seat, but have one on a rod that you can apply pressure while they're holding it.

Of course, not all reel seats are actually held in the hand. Depends on the type of rod and fishing that's being done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster