I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
epoxy coverage
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 02, 2016 01:55PM

Well it is one of those days, that I have lots of time on my hands as I am "watching paint dry". Ok it's not paint but watching epoxy dry is about as exciting. I have been playing around with the idea of how much it takes to cover a rod so I've been experimenting today with amounts.

I have found that with 1/4cc (1/2cc total) I've been able to completely cover two 7 footers. One is a spinner with 9 guides and the other is a caster with 9 guides on it as well. I even have some left over. Neither of these rods have decals so that will have to be taken into account if you plan on trying this. I typically only mix up 1/2cc of each part and run with that but thought I would goof around today just to see what I could learn.

I understand at these small of volumes I am inviting LOTS of problems as my margin for error is Horrifically small. I know that Tom has recommended 3cc's for as long as I have been reading the board (over 10 years), I just thought I would mess around a bit.

They are my rods and if I mess these up, no harm, no foul!!

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy coverage
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 02, 2016 03:00PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:56PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2016 04:13PM

I mix up enough to cover the rod and have a bit extra. That is about 1/2 way up the syringe.

I did pick up a new pair of bottles of epoxy where each bottle was 4 ozs.
I built 50 rods and used 1/2 of each bottle for a total of 4 fluid ozs to cover the guide and butt wraps for each of the rods.

Be safe

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 02, 2016 04:32PM

That's one way to get your money's worth! No doubt going to be some light rods. I talk to more and more builders going super thin with their epoxy, even as light as just a couple coats of color preserver. Pretty kool, you can't go wrong when you go custom!

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2016 04:47PM

Are you talking about just the wraps, or the exposed blank as well?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2016 04:52PM

I have mixed up as little as 2 drops each for a very small job and it worked fine. Used tread master.

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (24.114.72.---)
Date: March 02, 2016 06:26PM

I always mix just 1/2 cc of each part. 1 cc total. Never had any problems with it drying tacky. It is just enough to cover guides on a rod in most cases. If i need to do larger rod on decal area i just mix another cup.

Date: March 02, 2016 07:06PM

Randolph, I only covered the guides, so honestly there wasn't much to cover.

I did just get back to the house and found the epoxy set up like normal (like Threadmaster always does) and there are absolutely no issues.

Kevin, I did epoxy a few of the rods for the school today and I went with a normal amount on them as I am sure the High School kids will subject them to a little more than what I typically give my personal builds.

Sergiy, I too have been doing that since I first got my hands on Threadmaster after its release and have never had an issue. I will say that I stir the snot out of it, generally up to 200 revolutions in opposite directions in 25 revolution increments. A quick flame and ALL bubbles are gone.

Tom

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2016 07:58PM

Tom

Have always wondered how much waste was associated with mixing 3cc of epoxy, and now I have an idea, and, frankly, sort of now wish I did not know. The waste is somewhere between heart breaking and outrageous. Think I'll try a 2cc mix (4cc total) and see what happens. If it works it will reduce the cost by at least 30%. Certainly not as cost effective as your 1/4cc mix, but I'll take 30% for the first step.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2016 08:07PM

The question is, how much does it cost you if your mix is off just enough that you have a problem and you have to not only re-coat, but rectify what you have already put on. What is your time and effort worth?

Epoxy finish is not at all expensive. Trying to save a quarter against the cost of your time and another application of the very epoxy you were trying to save, is being penny wise and pound foolish.

Now having said that, it certainly isn't impossible to measure minute quantities of epoxy and have it set and cure properly - Thomas's experience illustrates that. But for the mere pennies involved, why take the chance? Of course, that decision is up to the individual rod builder so have at it.

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 02, 2016 08:17PM

Yes, Thredmaster lite, no issues.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 07:49AM

The kids at the school are going to love those rods, no doubt!! Great thing you are doing to help them out.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: March 03, 2016 10:26AM

Kevin,
I will get you some pictures of the kids with the rods when I finish them up all up. Thanks again!!!

Tom I agree with you and always mix larger portions when I am doing rods for others or repairs. Like you said, it is not worth the time and hassle of redoing it in the event of a problem.

Tom

Date: March 03, 2016 10:26AM

Kevin,
I will get you some pictures of the kids with the rods when I finish them up all up. Thanks again!!!

Tom I agree with you and always mix larger portions when I am doing rods for others or repairs. Like you said, it is not worth the time and hassle of redoing it in the event of a problem.

Tom

Date: March 03, 2016 10:52AM

Kevin,

Tom

Date: March 03, 2016 10:52AM

Kevin,

Tom

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 11:36AM

You can say that again!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: March 03, 2016 03:52PM

yikes, what in the heck did I do there. Sorry about that Tom

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2016 04:09PM

Nothing at all wrong with your post. No problem.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-70-194-99.myvzw.com)
Date: March 04, 2016 06:13PM

I've been measuring my mix by weight for several months. Before I retired, I took two brands of epoxy to the chem lab on campus and asked the professor to measure specific gravity of each part. Got the results and compared them to my calculations based on weight of new 4oz bottles. Came up with the same numbers. Here are the numbers when measured in grains.

Flex Coat lite takes 7 grains of hardner and 8 grains of resin.

Threadmaster lite takes 8 grains of hardner and 9 grains of resin.

Neither mix comes close to the 1cc mark on the mix cup.

Both mixes are very slightly off, but the difference is three places to the right of the decimal point. It's a heck of lot closer than you can get by eyeballing a mixing cup, or a syringe.

As verification I only need look at my oldest two bottles of Flex Coat lite. Both parts started out dead level, and, with only about a half an inch left in each, they are still dead level.

I do believe I'm getting a very accurate mix.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster