I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rebuilding my old work horse rod
Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 09:58PM

As I mentioned a few times I been out of rod building for some time now and have recently ordered everything to build 2 new rods. Well of course half the guides are back ordered. Tonight I started taking a look at what rods were good and which needed to retire. I have a rod that was my second rod I ever built that I'm very partial to. It has served as my work horse since around 2002. It was built on a Pac Bay blank whichever was there best back then with Fuji Concept guides and a purple heart wood split grip. I have fished all over the united states and canada with that rod. When I would go on a trip that was the first to get loaded. When a buddy calls to go fishing that rod goes. Im sure you all have that one rod that gets more work than all the rest. It was beat hard not very well taken care of and showing its age. Guides would sometimes pull out. The wood grip was faded. I had been thinking of rebuilding it for a few years now and I couldnt bring myself to retire it so tonight I began stripping it down and will rebuild it over the next couple weeks. I plan on extending the blank 5 inches as I always felt it should have been a little longer. I plan on machining on my lathe the extension out of aluminum to fit perfectly inside and flush on the outside. I plan on making a flo green and black composite handle. Machined aluminum bushings/Spacers for the reel seat instead of foam or tape. Something else I have been thinking about over the years is using fiberglass roving thread to wrap the guides instead of standard thread. I been thinking about how I wanted to do this to work better. Ill keep you all posted with pics as it goes back together. I wasnt able to take pics before stripping it down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rebuilding my old work horse rod
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 08:04AM

Won't an aluminum bushing - unless it is in short pieces - create a hard spot in rod that may cause failure. Also - aluminum ins't as good a material to epoxy as foam. Use an etching wash before epoxying seat. Why not use a graphite tube to extend vs aluminum? CTS manufactures graphite tubes to specified diameter and wall thickness.
Regards,
Herb

Date: March 01, 2016 08:42AM

The bushings will be short .5" pieces and they are in the but section of a spinning rod If it doesn't flex there im not too concerned.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 11:52AM

Certainly your plan will work just fine. However, I suppose that if I were building it, I would just take an oversized piece of graphite and slip it over the current blank. Let the two pieces of blank overlap by about 3 inches and you would be good to go.

Why are you planning on using fiberglass roving thread to wrap the guides?

Be safe

[www.eas-fiberglass.com]

Or would you be better off using fiberglass industrial thread?

[www.eas-fiberglass.com]

Date: March 01, 2016 12:21PM

Something different and should be totally clear and maybe a touch lighter? . Yes I know you can use white silk to get clear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster