I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

braided line rating
Posted by: Michael Maclean (198.91.15.---)
Date: February 29, 2016 10:07AM

I've noticed how some blanks have a higher line rating for braid then they do for mono/flouro. Does anyone know why? I'm just curious for the reasoning. Is it because braid doesn't stretch? Or is it the fact that braid is a thinner line? Can you use like 15lb braid safely with any rod that is specified for up to 14lb's. Any info or ideas why will be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: braided line rating
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2016 11:27AM

Michael,

Yes, you could use 15 lb braid on a rod which has a line rating to 14 lbs.

The main thing is to not over flex the blank, (deflect it beyond 90 degrees), or pop it while trying to get a lure loose. I have had customers break a rod with 6 lb floro on a rod rated to 10 -12 lbs by setting a drag too tight and letting the fish run under the boat without dropping the rod tip into the water to minimize the tip deflection. I think it is a situation of using good judgement with a rod blank.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Michael Maclean (198.91.15.---)
Date: February 29, 2016 11:32AM

Okay, I just thought it was kinda odd that some manufactors would put a braided line rating and a mono/flouro line rating with the blank

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: February 29, 2016 04:24PM

I think it has more to do with comparable line diameters than anything else.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 05:18PM

You can use any line on any rod, you just have to have your drag set correctly so the rod is not over powered by the line. Lighter lines on heavier rated blanks don't work well since they don't benefit from the flex of the rod blank. ie, a rod rated for 15 # test is not going to work very well with 4# test line.

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 06:27PM

Okay, I was just curious why some blanks just had two different ratings for braid and for mono. Like these point blank blanks from get bit [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 06:47PM

I would suggest ( do as you will ) put a mono leader on your braid -- You need something that will break And your main line may not And i am sure you don't want the rod to break

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: ken khoo (---.105.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 29, 2016 09:51PM

Mike, you're on the right track. The different ratings are to allow for the fact that braid doesn't stretch. So typically, you use a braid that is higher breaking strain than mono to allow for the lack of stretch. Mono's stretch allows for the sudden rush by the fish and absorbs it whereas braid doesn't. The stretch allows you to catch fish using lighter mono. Look at the records even up to marlin where fishermen have caught on a 20:1 ratio ie 1000lb fish to 50lb line. cant do that with braid.

This issue is complicated by the fact that braid ratings are totally inaccurate unlike most mono. I think this had a lot to do with IGFA rules. Paulus' website shows actual breaking strain of various lines sent in by fishermen which he tested for free and put the results for all to see. Unfortunately, following his heart issues, he's stopped this service. If the braid rating is in PE then this is a Japanese method and uses diameter rather than breaking strain. More reliable even though breaking strains will vary for the same diameter. I don't understand why manufacturers, even such as Berkley, Western Filament, way under rate braid breaking strain. Totally useless info for fishermen, more for selling imo. Sad that they seem to resort to provide rubbish info in order to sell their products.

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 08:04AM

Thank you ken, that makes total sense, I'll check out that website.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster