I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Painting A Rod Blank, Answers, not question.
Posted by: David Ball (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2016 04:21PM

--Hey everyone,

Kinda new at this, only have built, or rebuilt I should say, one single rod. I searched everywhere for what paint to use and what clear coat to use and there was not a clear answer so I decided to experiment and then post the results to the forum for any other newbie looking for the right answer.

I read a lot of people using Krylon Fusion, which I could only find Krylon Maxx which did not turn out well on my first blank and cracked when I was wrapping it. Good thing it was a POS shakespear rod I was experimenting on I used Rod Dancer Varnish to coat that Krylon Maxx.

Then I read using Permagloss on the Krylon Fusion destroyed the paint, and another person said it did not if you let it cure for 5 days.

What I finally decided on was to use DupliColor perfect Match Gunmetal, with a sandable primer from Duplicolor. Wet Sanded in between minor light coats obviously.

I tested the permagloss U40 on a broken rod that I sprayed with both the primer and paint after only letting it dry for 2 days. The results were outstanding, no paint was damaged.

So I now did the same to my first rod Blank last night I will post a picture later, I believe I waited 3 days before coating the blank in PermaGloss. I could only do about 75% of the rod because of the rod holder, I will coat the top end later. I did not do anything special, I put the blank on the rod dyer and used quick even strokes to coat the rod and it seemed to level out ok.

Anyway, I will post pictures later. Hopefully the next guy searching for these answers will find this post.

PS: I do think the rustoleum I sprayed on a broken blank holds up really well but I have not tried coating it with varnish or U40 permagloss yet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting A Rod Blank, Answers, not question.
Posted by: Scott Kleppe (---.233.160.108.sta.southslope.net)
Date: February 25, 2016 04:38PM

Great information. I have painted many and found the local body shop gave me the best results, but I suck at most things. How do you apply the U40?

SK Custom Rods
American Tackle Pro Staff

Fish now, cause you'll be dead for a long time.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2016 08:35PM

Always great to hear positive feedback regarding Permagloss's compatibility with different paints..

chad

Posted by: David Ball (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2016 11:33PM

i lightly brushed it on while the rod dryer was turning it, a quick back and forth motion till one section was covered then re apply brush and hit the next.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 26, 2016 09:30AM

Hi David,

PLease post the pictures when they are available. I have a couple rods I wanted to refinish but I have always put them off because there never seemed to be a real good home solution to painting a blank.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: February 26, 2016 06:28PM

This is the kind of post we need more of. When you try something and it works, put it out there! Thanks David. Lynn

Date: February 26, 2016 09:20PM

What did not work, putting a second coat of U-40 on after 3 days. Pretty sure it just ruined the prior work and Now I am going to sand it down and possibly have to start over tomorrow hopefully the paint will be ok. SOOOOOO frustrated but this is all part of the learning curve so lets make sure you read this closely : DO NOT RECOAT WITH U-40 PERMAGLOSS AFTER 3 DAYS.

Not sure if I need to wait longer or, if I should have recoated sooner. My loss is your gain.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: February 26, 2016 09:28PM

There are other urethanes out there. Lynn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 27, 2016 10:32AM

I try to get one good coat on If i think I should put two I try to do the second after maybe 15 - 30 minutes
Seems if let to dry it eats in like lacquer over enamel paint

Klass Kote has a nice urethane clear that can be thinned

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2016 10:35AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: danny squier (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2016 02:39PM

why couldnt you paint rods at home if a local body shop can doit u should be able to do it on a smaller scale. i know the MHX painted blanks are painted with automotive paints maybe someone from there can chime in

Posted by: danny squier (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2016 02:46PM

oh and also just a thought try using an automotive clear coat and contact the paint manufacturer to see what they would recommend. also when painting the rod i dont see a need to have it in a rod turner if the paint is running you arent painting it right. no body shop i have ever seen or worked in rotated the hole car while it was drying thats why the painting process takes so long. one really thin coat at a time. you may try to contact an airbrush company like tcpglobal or coastairbrush and see which direction they steer you in.

Date: February 27, 2016 02:47PM

Yah, I just got done sanding and repainting the original rod and I started my wifes surf rod too. Dupli Color is fantastic spray paint after using their primer in about 20 minutes im gonna go check it and touch it up then I will post pictures before adding the perma gloss later this week.

This time I will put two coats on quickly.

Date: February 27, 2016 02:54PM

How do we post pictures here?

Date: February 27, 2016 03:34PM

New Link,

Photos posted at bottom of thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 11:33AM by David Ball.

Date: February 27, 2016 04:53PM

careful of the alcohol It tends to leave a Film on it You should be better if you wash it -- then hit it with a gray scoff pad Wipe with dry rag to make sure there is no film left on

Dupli Color has a clear Never used it so don't know how hard it drys But I would suggest you check out the Klass Kote clear Not as harsh as the permagloss and can be re coated anytime

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 27, 2016 05:00PM

Photos ??? is it just me or is it blank ??????? I got nothing

William Sidney
AK

Date: February 27, 2016 05:28PM

i registered in the photo page thing, uploaded photos, then it just deleted them and it doesn't even have the option to upload it.

Someone send me their email address i will send you the photos

Date: February 27, 2016 05:30PM

If you are asking ME for photos I don't do photos
Try it -- Don't try it - Up to you

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 27, 2016 05:37PM

No I was asking for your email, if you wanted to SEE the photos cause I can't get this crap to work. Try this link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 11:34AM by David Ball.

Date: February 27, 2016 05:55PM

O Sorry

Besides the one I told you of You can Google up many of the Auto Clears Some you can get in smaller amounts They dry hard - Fast Can be thinned
I have tried a reducer in permagloss - Once - and it did thin it out some more - But it did give it more set time Set maybe about an hour Compared to 15 minutes out of the bottle Over night it was as hard as a rock like it should be -- may be the easiest to use
The auto clears there is a little How to measure the Activator But they are More forgiving
Like said the Dupli Color does have a clear have not tried it - so ??

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster