I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KL-H or KW Guides
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2016 04:00PM

Iam planning to build a 10' surf rod for my grandson. He is big enough to handle a ten foot rod now. I am trying to figure which guides to use. The blank specks are 10', 1-4oz, 8-15 lb, ml power/mod-fast action, tip 8.5 and will be using penn 4000 fierce2 reel & 12 lb mono .
Will be fishing bottom rig with 2 or 3oz weight and sand fleas or shrimp. I had thought of going with the KW's for reduction and KT's for runners. So i guess my question would be using the KL-H guides with KT's and using size 8 for the runners since the tip is 8.5 and the smallest top ring i see in the MNAT model is an 8(9.0) and i might need to go to a 10 tip. Has anyone built a 10' surf rod using the KL-H guides and were you pleased using them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 06:52PM by Roger Rierson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KL-H or KW Guides
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2016 04:14PM

This should help you set up the guides

[anglersresource.net]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-70-193-9.myvzw.com)
Date: February 23, 2016 06:49PM

Is he using 12lb braid ,mono or both?

Date: February 23, 2016 06:53PM

12lb mono. Sorry about leaving out the type of line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 06:54PM by Roger Rierson.

Date: February 23, 2016 08:30PM

I would use the double foot k guides for the reduction then single foot for the choke and runners. The difference in weight/performance between a kw25 vs klh20 will be very little to justify losing the durability of a double foot guide.

Date: February 23, 2016 08:59PM

For a young man's rod I would go for the durable double foot for the reduction guides. Not because of the fishing on sand but just putting the rod in a tube for travel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 03:35PM by David Miller.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2016 06:17AM

About your ? about has anyone used the klh on a surf rod. I built a 10.5ft 1-4 ounce rod with them as reduction guides but only use 14 lb fusion braid with it. Starts with a 16mm which Fuji would recommend a 20 but I tried it and with relatively heavy surf lures it cast great with the 16mm.I doubt this setup will work with mono unless it was very low lb test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 09:10AM by David Miller.

Date: February 24, 2016 08:51AM

Thanks David. Good info.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 25, 2016 12:37PM

The ideal solution would be the new RV but it is only available in titanium TORZITE® at this point and that might be a little much for your son's first 10-footer. With 12 mono and no more than 3oz of weight I think you'll be fine with the KL-H. It will certainly be a lighter set-up for a young man to handle. I would use KB belly guides all the way to the top, and use a locking wrap to secure them. The bigger foot on this model will certainly help and we often recommend them for this type of application. There are plenty of microwave users on this forum, I see no need for a microwave lover to jump into a thread like this when the poster outlined his preference for a FUJI guide train in his opening post. We never hijack microwave threads and we would appreciate the same courtesy in return.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2016 09:34PM

If I am casting 3 ounces plus bait with 12 lb running line I would use a 30 lb shock leader that wraps around the reel at least 2 times and through the rod with enough drop off the tip. You and your grandson don't want a 3 oz sinker breaking off during a cast, plus it gives more abrasion resistance to the rig and higher pound line to hold on to when bringing fish in the surf. For the running guides to pass the shock leader knot I would go no smaller then a KT7 or use 8s to play it safe, no issue using the same size as the tip or next size larger. Also with fishing in the surf at least in NC sometimes the grass and seaweed comes in depending on wind and a larger guide won't clog up as fast.Hope this helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster